Old Dressers/Furniture

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've used the drawers as nest boxes. Also used them as storage boxes placed on a shelf. They can be made really cute with painting, etc.

Dressers with the drawers -- I am cleaning one now and plan to do a tromp l'oile (however you spell it!) paint job and use it in my sewing area for fabric, with notions in the smaller drawers. I bought one off CL once for my DVDs, just gotta make sure the drawers are deep enough for them. Used one as a buffer in the dining room

I find old dressers to be very versatile pieces of furniture.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can use the spaces that used to be for drawers, reinforce with a wood bottom and turn them into nice book or display shelves.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
take drawers out and reinforce and make a bench with sides and back

curranbound

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I seen a blog where someone used the drawers to use as a doll house for a little girl. Just add a piece of wood about half way across the inside of the drawer and the drawers face overhangs and makes the roof. Painted it to look like the inside of a dollhouse. It looked really good. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a very boxy old dresser with tall skinny legs. I'm going to cut the legs off, put on bun feet and a new back and use it for a coffee table.
I'm currently looking for the 'right' dresser to use in place of standard base cabinets in my kitchen. We can put in a sturdier bottom, roller slides and wah-la! I'd rather have big drawers in the kitchen instead of digging around in the back of a base cabinet.