Old Farmers Dump Mason Jars

redoak

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took the dogs for a walk in the woods and found an old farmers dump. Where I live there were alot of farms back in the 20/30's that were on marginal land and abandoned. The next day I took with me a regular and a wide mouth mason jar screw on top. I found several intact jars that accepted the tops with the same threads.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
that sounds cool. Wacha planning on using the jars for?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, redoak!! :woot

Do you do alot of canning? If you have any questions, this is a great place to be. We have many wise, "ole" souls here. (Notice the spelling of "ole".) :D

Great score on the jars! :clap

redoak

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This year I did 108 jars total of tomatoes, salsa, sauce, and applesauce. We either are getting a pressure canner for Christmas, or we are going to buy one. So next year I'll be canning beans, corn, carrots, etc all stuff from our large garden. So extra mason jars will come in handy.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
redoak said:
This year I did 108 jars total of tomatoes, salsa, sauce, and applesauce. We either are getting a pressure canner for Christmas, or we are going to buy one. So next year I'll be canning beans, corn, carrots, etc all stuff from our large garden. So extra mason jars will come in handy.
Wow that is a lot of canning. But I know next year I will be doing a whole lot more canning than this year too. My mom gave me her pressure canner that she has had for at least 39 yrs. She hasn't used it in over 25 yrs it has been sitting in a box & she has been looking for it for at least 10yrs & found it in a shed in a box. Lucky for me.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I learned how to use a pressure canner just a few weeks ago. My mom came over for the weekend and we canned 36 quarts of chicken. It is very good. I had always been afraid to pressure can but once I had done it, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I guess I too will be adding to my pantry next year!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:barnie I have GOT to get me a canner! Even a cold packer is betting than nothing!! :barnie