Old fashioned cough syrup

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will give my family a tbsp. of elderberry syrup any time they cough or feel puny. Whether it really works or not, they think it works. It is a miracle drug around here. :idunno

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We found some wild elderberries on the side of a back road close by!!! We're going to dig some up to transplant and I can go pick the berries when they are ripe. There are lots of elderberries around here, but they always seem to be on private land. So I am excited to find these on the outside of a fence in a heavily wooded area.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We were so happy to find a tree on our place when we moved here. It was one of the things I prayed about before we moved. I wanted a place with fruit and berries, a pond or creek nearby, a garden spot, a place for chickens and lots of room for the Wildbunch aka my children and grandchildren. We ended up with elderberries, blackberries, apple trees, peach trees, plum trees, three ponds, and three acres of cleared land. My poor husband spends so much time cleaning out the spillway of the big pond and mowing all summer. Be careful what you pray for! But we love it here. 20170311_113105.jpg 20170403_180927.jpg 20170311_113119.jpg 20170311_113447.jpg
What all this has to do with cough syrup I don't know. Just showing off I guess.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's only rented but we love everything out here. The neighbors are so nice. I walk up on a herd of deer a couple of nights ago by the garden. It's a good thing I finally got a fence around it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife does local honey and cinnamon. I can't recall the last time I was sick or had a sore throat but she says it works well.

I will try honey and cinnamon the next time I get sick and let you all know but it could be a while before I report back...

Personally I take fisherman's friend when I would have a sore throat - it's some wicked powerful stuff that tastes like crap but it does work.

download (1).jpg

I also once grew and made some horehound cough drops and that also worked well.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of using marshmallow leaf/root for coughs? My DH came down with a horrible cough 2 years ago. It was waking us both up at night, and affecting his work. Then, his boss gave him a RX cough med, and he almost fell asleep on his commute home. So, I started researching online, and found marshmallow root for cough. I ordered a box of 10 tea bags.
It works!! :thumbsup

So, now, he drinks tea with 1 to 2 bags of it a day. I am on my 3rd order of the marshmallow leaf/root and tea bags for filling. I tried it this past winter. The taste is hardly noticeable. It goes well with regular tea.

Every so often now, I do up about 100 tea bags. Fill up the little canister by the tea pot, and vacuum pack the remainder for the freezer.

http://www.herbco.com/p-1350-marshmallow-leaf-cs.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althaea_officinalis

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Some used to use a few drops of turpentine for cough. My grandma used to give a few drops of turpentine to her chickens if they started coughing and cough was gone by the next day.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marshmallow tea sounds promising but YUCK on the turpentine. I once knew someone that would put kerosene in a spoonful of sugar and give to her kids for pinworms. I couldn't understand why Mama wouldn't let me have any when all her kids were lined up for it. I think I was 5 at the time.