Old-Fashioned Vinegar Pie

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Thanks ~gd. That's what I was wondering. I figure those ol' farm gals weren't using the distilled, they were using ACV or some homebrewed vinegar. I never really even thought about it when I read the recipe until Opal raised the question a couple of posts back.
My great grandmother used to add vinegar to her lemon pies because lemons were expensive when she grew up (did the same with lemonade) to this day I still perfer pucker up sour to sweet pie or lemonade.~gd

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, I made it. DH and I agree we are not big fans. The after taste got me, the actual taste got him. Not surprising for him though - he doesn't care for vinegar at all (the poor guy - he doesn't know what he's missing)

I did like the creamy texture and it went together VERY easily. The taste was okay, but it wasn't lemony at all, just vinegary.

I think next time I'll try this with some lemon extract and see if it makes a difference.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im going to make that tonight! All I have though is the distilled. I may have to go get the acv.
Gettinaclue-did you use regular or acv?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Uh oh, sorry you didn't like it. I liked it because it doesn't have the the bite that lemon does.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't be sorry! It was fun putting together something that my great grandmother's, great grandmother probably cooked. I thought it was cool. :D

Just wasn't my cup of tea was all.

I really liked the way it came together and the texture, so I'll play with this recipe and see what I can come up with.

Maybe my problem is I love lemon LOL.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying this but intentionally adding lemon. I like lemon too! :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Okay, I made it. DH and I agree we are not big fans. The after taste got me, the actual taste got him. Not surprising for him though - he doesn't care for vinegar at all (the poor guy - he doesn't know what he's missing)

I did like the creamy texture and it went together VERY easily. The taste was okay, but it wasn't lemony at all, just vinegary.

I think next time I'll try this with some lemon extract and see if it makes a difference.
You might like Chess Pie better. It has milk in it.
Though I think cream might be even better.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chess-pie/detail.aspx