old gutters --> flashing

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
(That's "eavestroughs" for Canadians, whom I live among but have not 100% absorbed the vocabulary of <g>)

Various incorrectly-installed aluminum and galvanized gutters have come down off the house and barn since we moved here, and been duly replaced with new guttering since once the metal has been twisted it can't really be put back up. (I have done a MUCH better installation job than the chimps who put up the previous stuff, hmph! :p)

I've just been "storing" the gutters that came down (more correctly, "dumping them in a heap in the back of the old tractor shed I use for winter manure storage and also under the back deck"), but have recently had to use the space where they were "stored".

Guess what - slice it into appropriate lengths, hammer flat or cut into desired shape with tin snips, and you got yourself 12" wide flashing! White (in my case), made of whatever gutter material it is, with a coupla nail holes here and there but you can work around them.

Been using this for ratproofing popdoor sills in the chicken building, also roof drip edge, also some other minor noncritical flashing jobs and miscellaneous "I need a little bit of metal here" jobs. Works GREAT. (Do remember that metals aren't compatible - aluminum shouldn't touch steel and vice versa)

In fact I am almost out of scrap gutters, and wishing I had more! :p

Just passing it along for anyone else with a pile of this stuff like mine,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We are accumulating a "junk" pile slowly but surely. Not gutters to speak of, but have old tin ( or some type of metal) siding that we have used for certain things along the same lines as you. Currently, I am building a 16' privacy type fence with old pressure treated wood. I have only had to spend $10 on the fence so far, and I think that's all I will need to spend. gotta love the junk pile!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
patandchickens said:
(Do remember that metals aren't compatible - aluminum shouldn't touch steel and vice versa)
How come? :hu
It sets up what is called "galvanic action" and it will cause the two dissimilar metals to deteriorate.