Old picture of my grandfather and his beloved chickens (maybe)

dreamweaver

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can't think of anyone with those initials but then I am the youngest grandchild. There's nobody left to ask.....

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They look like RIR's to me too...but I haven't had chickens of my own yet so who am I to say? LOL

I'm thinking maybe a child did the initials? - maybe it is the initials of the children or people living in the house at that time? First initials only maybe? :idunno

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You could see if anybody in the family has done your family tree and check it.
Sometimes people put their name or the date on it when they built a house.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow! what great pix!!! and see how the hens are so close to him! i bet they were very lucky.... wonderful. thanks for sharing!!!

dreamweaver

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I imagine they had as good a life as was possible in that day and time. I wish I could have known him. I do remember my grandmother and it's no surprise to me he spent so much time with his chickens. I did not like her and she did not like me. Sounds terrible, but oh so true.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a great picture. Where was it taken? Alabama as well? Was he of German decent?

Just wondering.

gina

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats funny about the writing.. when we took the old insulbrick off the front porch, written all over the 150 year old wood siding were things like S's, W's, H's, E's, N's....in a childs handwriting :)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks just like my RIR girls! And they're massive, too. :D They don't go hungry, lol!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Thats funny about the writing.. when we took the old insulbrick off the front porch, written all over the 150 year old wood siding were things like S's, W's, H's, E's, N's....in a childs handwriting :)
Might be carpenters marks Lupin. Sometimes they make notations right on the wood they are installing. My BIL still does! When they are jotting fast with a big old carpenter pencil it sure looks like a kid did it!

I agree with the consensus - Rhode Island Reds. A flock of good hens like that one was a very valuable asset back in the day ... still is for that matter. Some poultry men worked for years developing their own line of high producing layers. Probably your grandpa was one of them. :)