Olive Leaf Tea

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Where would we be without our wonderful olive trees which supply us with edible green and black olives, olive oil and kindling and wood for our wood burning stove. We have now discovered that the leaves are also a very useful resource and make a very healthy tea. A tea which has been brewed in the Mediterranean area for thousands of years.

Apparently, the tea is very beneficial and has antioxidant levels twice that of green tea. Clinical trials are ongoing but the tea is said to lower blood pressure and cholesterol and improve blood flow. The leaves also have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.

If you have your own olive tree or have access to a tree its easy to make your own tea.

Only pick leaves from a tree that has been kept organically to avoid any pesticides, insecticides or any other chemicals. Select and pick healthy and blemish free leaves about mid-morning when any dew has evaporated.

Wash and dry the leaves indoors and away from direct sunlight. When dried thoroughly, crush the leaves by hand, removing the stalks and place in an airtight container.

Make the tea in a teapot by using approximately a teaspoonful of leaves per cup. You will find that the tea has a sweetish and mellow taste.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for this post Okra. Alas, I have no olive tree, but they are being grown in Texas in various places now. So perhaps someday I'll have one too. Where have you been for so long? Been missing you!

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Baymule. Glad to hear olive trees are spreading the world needs olive oil. Not been around for a while as I have been busy, not only gardening, but in the process of getting a book published on gardening in sub-tropical locations.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting the book published. Deep South Texas along the Mexican border has sub-tropical climate. I think they have one day where they proclaim it is winter, get it over with and go back to sunshine. :lol: I live about 75 miles north of Houston, Texas which is far enough south so I can garden all year around, but is far enough north that we get some 20 degree weather, some ice and once every few years, we get snow.