Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A long time ago, I found an electrolyte recipe that was very simple

something like

2 tbs lemon juice
half tsp salt
in eight oz water
sweeten to taste (with whatever you like)

I can't find it. John is going to get me some G (sports drink) but I hate that stuff. :sick

Cassandra

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (85g)

Recipe makes 12 servings

Calories 6
Calories from Fat 0 (1%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 76mg 3%
Potassium 9mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 1.6g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
Sugars 1.5g
Protein 0.0g 0%
detailed view...

1 quart warm water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons orange juice

you can substitute the orange juice for lemon Mix with gingerale

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW Cassandra
How sick are you? You sound bad!!! Is it stomach bug type thingy?

Hope you get to feeling better fast! Drink your drink! Let us know how you are doing!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not terrible. Mild fever (around 100 to 101). It's just the stomach cramps are awful! The only way to get away from the stomach pain is to sleep. But thankfully, it hasn't been hard to sleep. I've probably slept twenty hours out of the last twenty four.

Brennan wants to put some 'happy faces' on.

:smack :hide :old :duc :hugs :somad

I think it is on its way out. Fever is getting lower (closer to 99) and I'm getting hungry & thirsty. Scared to eat anything, tho, cause those cramps are not to be toyed with! :ep

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--those cramps are not to be toyed with! LOL

you poor thing!

yea just rest...and 20 hrs sleep is the best thing for you!!!!!! I want 20 hrs sleep also! but dont want to be sick to get it.

I am not a sports drink fan either. blah....but they do replace what we lose and your homemade version sounds better!

glad you are kinda on the mend......hope all is good.

Here is some smileys back at Brennan....
:ya :celebrate :lol: :plbb :pop

have a great day if you can!!!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try getting some REAL sea salt. Celtic brand is a good one. It's the grey chunky kind. It tastes good, and has all the trace minerals that table salt does not have. It's very good for you. Use that in your electrolyte blend. My DH is sick now, and I'm making sure he uses it.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you ever been sick where you just sort of wake up three days later with your teeth feeling kinda furry and your hair an oily tangled mess? (Wondering why there are corn chip crumbs in the bed ?!)

I finally surfaced today. I missed my third day of work. John was good enough to take Brennan to daycare (which is about 25 miles from our house) so I could actually rest today and I did.

I got up about 1 this afternoon and allowed myself an extra hot, extra long shower. My stomach is still not right. I'm only eating things on the safe for tummyache list. :p Like:

Potato mashed with chicken broth

unsweetened apples sauce

yogurt with live cultures

grape juice

more crackers that I care to count

Here are some of the things I learned!

I hate ginger ale.

A heating pad really does make stomach cramps feel better.

I hate pepto bismol, too, but not as much as I hate stomach cramps.

I'm going to order some of that sea salt. I have always wanted to try some and now I have a good excuse. :)

I feel better. I'm still very tired, though. I almost hope I had food poisoning or something instead of a virus so no one else will get it. You know, it was almost funny when I first started feeling bad on Sunday afternoon... *I* who normally leave the heat off and let it get to be 60 degrees in the house while I'm running around with shorts on started complaining about being cold.

I sat in front of the fire, and I felt like I had a force field around me. It was like there was NO HEAT coming out of the fire and I was freezing. And later that night I had the heat up and it was 72 degrees in the house and I was bundled up in a chair saying, "g-g-g-get me a b-b-blanket, pppplease" I was just shaking!

Not so funny the next morning, though.

Now, I am sort of loafing. Considering all the things that I could be doing. But, nah. I'm just going to loaf in bed for the rest of the day if I can. I'll probably have lots to do at work tomorrow.

Thanks, everybody.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow you got nailed.
you have it rough!

at least a day of rests helps even if we don't get well...resting is key here!

I had those bone chilling chills...they are not funny. I lied in bed and shook and shook...I couldn't stop shaking to the bone. It feels like literally no heat is in the body!!! nasty business.

I bet that hot hot shower felt great!

hang in there...can't last much longer (can it?) I hope not!!!!!