? on a used generator

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
The auction I am going to tomorrow has listed a used coleman powerbase 5000w generator. Looks okay in the picture . At an auction you can't plug it in to test it. Is there anything else to look for or check before bidding?

All of the other items in the auction seem to be of good quality and in working order -lots of good quality farm and garden stuff, lots of craftsman, coleman, brand names. They seem to have bought quality and kept up on maintenance of things.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That generator is a nice one. They are very loud in comparison with the newer and smaller Japanese models on the market today. But it would be wonderful in an emergency.

I'm sure the auctioneer will allow you to start it and run it. Take a 1500W hair dryer with you and plug it in to the generator and let it run on high heat and high blower for as long as you can. I think 1500W is about as high a wattage as I can think of for a portable item that most folks already have. On a somewhat high dollar auction item like that they will allow you to test it before you bid. I'm sure other folks will be interested in your testing also.

Good luck and I hope you get it at a great price.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew someone here would have good ideas for me.

Tuns off to add hair dryer to picnic basket and packing materials to take with tomorrow...

Latest posts