On average, what do you spend on feed every month?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I buy bi-monthly for the goats and horses..

Bi-monthly

Purina Equalizer - $25.00/bag (I think?) x 2
Sheep/Goat Feed - $14.00/bag x 2

Total = $78.00

Monthly

Purina Layena - $14.00 (I think) x 2
Royal Canin Medium Dog (largest bag, I can't remember the weight) - $75.00 (I think!) x 1
Royal Canin Small Puppy - $54.00 x 1
Royal Canin Indoor Cat - $36.00 x 2

Total = $229.00

Or thereabouts..

This is winter months mind you...

And hay, in the dead of winter we go through about 4 roundbales a month (550-600lbs each) at $25.00/bale, and I buy small squares (60lb bales) at $2.50-$3.00 a bale for the early fall and spring and we'll usually go through about 200 bales then.

For the goats, about 50 bales do us for the winter LOL seriously. My goats don't eat very much, and I think this year I"m going to switch them back to grass-clover hay because the alfalfa is not really worth it since the Pygmy gals aren't *really* milking goats. I'll likely switch to a clover-grass with more clover in it for when we have milking goats though. For alfalfa bales at about 60-80lbs I pay $3.00/bale.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My costs are:

Rabbits $14 a bag and $5 a hay bale used to last 4 or more months but just got 5 meat rabbits so that 1ill last a month or two.

bantoms chickens-4- $15 for 6 months

2 cats about-$10 a month

1 small dog- $24 had =to swich to blue bufflo

rats-$10-bred to feed other pets

cockatils-$5

lizards- $5

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
That is a VERY dangerous question Lori. I simply will not answer it.
BB, she was asking about animals, not family. ;) :D

Edit: that was meant about your goats, and I just realized how old that post was and how much thread was present after that. I just woke up, forgive me people. It has been a LOOOOOOOOOONG week.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Cracked corn is crack! We had some fawn & white runner ducks that we got from someone who fed them nothing but cracked corn. I think it did some brain damage to them, they wig out all the time. :lol:
LOL last year I made the fatal mistake of putting out some cracked corn for my hens at about 8pm (we had a light on last year for egg production) and they were literally BOUNCING off the walls! You could hear them up the road, bokking and jumping like little jack rabbit chickens.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I spend more on animal feed monthly than what my house payment is. :ep

I feed fifteen cats and thirteen dogs and, yes, they all get premium feed (Taste of the Wild for the cats and Diamond Lamb and Rice for the dogs). The cats also get a store-brand canned food at night.

The goats get alfalfa and the old doe and her roommate also get soaked beet pulp in the morning and wet cob in the afternoon. During the coldest part of the winter, all sixteen goats got soaked beet pulp once a day.

The chickens and ducks are big eaters and a huge expense (even free-ranging) and I really, really need to downsize. I don't sell enough eggs to justify the expense. I did sell a few Muscovies at the swap meet last weekend. I'll probably try to sell a couple of drakes and some roosters tomorrow. And some fertile Muscovy eggs.

The three cockatiels hardly show up on the radar and neither does Greg, the single Dutch bunny.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dogs...... 60 a month
cats....... 10 a month
chickens, 2 ducks, 2 geese...........60 a month
hogs...............................................30 a month
rabbits....................... 30 a month
goat....................................... 20 a month
mule............................ 20 a month
horses............................................ 30 a month(free pasture)

Never mind I'm stopping here......... I don't want to go any further! :th I'm not even going to add the extra cost of hay, supplements, dewormers, etc. I think we need to cut down on dogs and chickens!!!!!!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, I feel much better about my feed bills. The dog gets beneful, and goes through a bag once every 1.5-2 months. I'm not even sure of the price, but it's expensive for being a corn based junk food, but she has bad reactions to most other kibble.

My other feed bills are a work in progress. I got a 20lb bag of chick starter from my parents (they had bought it for the wild birds, but they didn't like it) when I first hatched my birds. I had 20 button quail from 1/31 and 8 coturnix from 2/8, and I'm still working on the bag. It is almost gone, but, still, I feel that we did alright. I now am down to 8 buttons and 7 coturnix. A bag of feed costs $15.15 for 50lbs and should last just about 3.75 months. Making it $4.04 per month.
My rabbit, I bought one 50lb bag back on November 15th. It's still about half full. One bale of hay was bought on the same day, which, there is still about half of it as well. The bag of feed was $14 and the bale of hay was $4. So, about $2.25 per month for the rabbits. :)

I also traded in five of my button quail to get a 50lb bag of feed. After taxes, I paid 5 button quail and $.15 for 50lbs of feed. I paid $1.73 per hatched chick. So, I paid $8.81 for 50lbs of gamebird feed. :) Not too bad of a deal, IMO. I also just emailed the company to receive a coupon for my next bag of feed.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH runs his own business, and that is our sole income. We (all people and animals) live on $1,500 max/month, sometimes less, sometimes more. He MAKES more than this, but these are fixed costs. We do lots of recycling and do NOT keep up with the "Jones's", still enjoy lots of good things and don't feel deprived!! :D

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
You guys make me feel so much better! I thought I had lost my mind when I realized I had 7 animals!

We have and spend on:

1 Kitty.............5-8$ for a bag of food that last almost a month.
2 Gerbils.........5$ bag of food last for 2 months!
4 Chickens......14$ for a bag of feed that last a month and a 10$ bag of scratch that we got two months ago still has plenty in it.

The chickens are not allowed to free range in the city, but we grab fistfuls of grass for them everyday and they get our kitchen scraps. Our cat is the most expensive animal we have. That makes me happy. :)