On average, what do you spend on feed every month?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
With our vastly different climates, clover doesn't take over here. BIND WEED does though. :ack! I have some white clover growing in the grass. Been there for years. The ducks snack on that too :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerChick -- you just need some free-ranging ducks to manage that clover you have. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As with many problems, the answer is often MORE DUCKS! :gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
1 horse, now don't think I am fibbing its outrageous here!
grass hay is 12.75 a bale and
alfalfa is 11.00 and I use approx 2 bales of each per month
plus senior grain(Purina) 16.75 a bag
Does your horse graze? I am trying to figure out how you only feed 4 bales a month.

Several years ago my daughter's mother in law decided to ship her ancient Arabian horse to my daughters house for his final days. He had been a stall horse in southern California for most of his life and she wanted him to have the freedom of a pasture. They were discussing feed costs and when the subject of hay came up my daughter told her that she paid about $20 to $25 a bale for horse quality grass and clover hay. Her mother in law said that was about what she was paying in California as well. It was much later in the conversation that they discovered the mother in law was talking about a 70 pound square bale and my daughter in Missouri was talking about a 1000+ pound round bale! :th

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, I feed per month:
6 rabbit does & buck + babies= #150 pellets ($19.25) per month plus grass hay ($3 per bale) #80 bale will last 4 months.
18 layers, 30 pullets, 3 roosters,
6 Bourbon Red turkeys
24 grown Muscovy ducks
2 Pilgrim geese
All receive variations of ground feed (#500 @ $64) and cracked corn (#200 @ $20).
Total: $20 for rabbits, $84 for the rest. However, I have been able cut approximately $250-300 from my food bill each month.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
sufficientforme said:
1 horse, now don't think I am fibbing its outrageous here!
grass hay is 12.75 a bale and
alfalfa is 11.00 and I use approx 2 bales of each per month
plus senior grain(Purina) 16.75 a bag
Does your horse graze? I am trying to figure out how you only feed 4 bales a month.

Several years ago my daughter's mother in law decided to ship her ancient Arabian horse to my daughters house for his final days. He had been a stall horse in southern California for most of his life and she wanted him to have the freedom of a pasture. They were discussing feed costs and when the subject of hay came up my daughter told her that she paid about $20 to $25 a bale for horse quality grass and clover hay. Her mother in law said that was about what she was paying in California as well. It was much later in the conversation that they discovered the mother in law was talking about a 70 pound square bale and my daughter in Missouri was talking about a 1000+ pound round bale! :th
No we do not have much pasture (2 acres) if you can call it that. Lately he is pretty idle with the kids back in school also. LOL, he is not really a "horse" he is about a 700 pounds right at 14 hand pony. The hay I purchase are 110# and 90# bales.
418_100_3649.jpg

This is "Short, Shorts" This picture was taken this month.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Hay here has dropped about 30% from last year. I paid about $13.25 a bale (100 lbs) this year compared to $18.00 per bale (120 lbs) last year. I haven't done the exact math to figure it out between the two- I prefer living in the illusion.............. :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:thumbsup

That does explain things! Cute pony by the way!

Our family "horses" are two 20 something Pony of the Americas that live with my D1 now. Kelly is 54 inches tall and Cayenne is 53 inches tall ... but they both are pushing 1000 pounds. As wide as they are tall. :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love POA's that is what I was looking for when we purchased shorty, he is just a mutt but a total babysitter and that's what we wanted.