Once a day Milking

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
How does this work? I'd like to try it when we get our moo cow :pop

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have switched to once a day now that Ariel's production is down a bit. For the past few months I have milked a gallon, let her foster calves have the rest, then separate them. The other day I milked her completely out and only got little over a gallon and a half. So now I milk a gallon in the morning and leave the calves with her the rest of the day then separate them at night.

I think it all depends on how much milk your cow is giving. If she is giving 4 or more gallons, I would worry about the calf getting too much or not being able to keep up. You would have to at least get another calf and watch her really close to make sure they were getting all of the milk from all four quarters and watch the calves so they don't get milk scours.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you haven't already, get the book Keeping A Family Cow by Joann something-or-other. I can't remember her last name at the moment, sorry. It has a TON of advice for new cow owners.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
alot of goat people milk completly empty in the morning then let the babes enjoy all day then seperate the babies into their own stall at night so momma can "refill" for morning milking again...

i cant imagine it being much different with a cow...
Eventually i ant a dexter and plan on doing this, milk in the morning and let the calf have at the rest of the day this way i get the best of both orlds, the calf gets to be raised on natural milk, and i dont have to spend a small fortune on milk replacer....but i stil get enough each morning for my on needs...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I plan to do once-a-day milking with Ice Cream when the time comes (although, by the time she's ready for that, you will be a pro and I can pick your brain about it :lol: ). Her production is expected to fall midway between a full size Jersey and a goat - estimates are 2-4 gallons a day :ep Looking at her right now, I wonder how that's possible! A farmer friend of mine advised me to check her for the first couple weeks, at night before I separate her and the calf, to make sure she has been stripped. If she has, all's good. If she hasn't, I may have to rethink my strategy :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
I plan to do once-a-day milking with Ice Cream when the time comes (although, by the time she's ready for that, you will be a pro and I can pick your brain about it :lol: ). Her production is expected to fall midway between a full size Jersey and a goat - estimates are 2-4 gallons a day :ep Looking at her right now, I wonder how that's possible! A farmer friend of mine advised me to check her for the first couple weeks, at night before I separate her and the calf, to make sure she has been stripped. If she has, all's good. If she hasn't, I may have to rethink my strategy :/
I need to research some and find out, may have to get another calf to let her drain out at night....but we will figure it out :D

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did some share milking with my girl while she was fostering calves last year. Seperate at night, milk in the AM then put calf back in with her the rest of the day. You will probably not get much cream, since she'll hold up for the calf, but somethin is better then nothing :)

Dairy cows peak production somewhere around 3 months into lactation. A newborn calf will have a very hard time milking her out right from the getgo so you will probably need to milk 2x day for a while, leaving the calf on full time, until you don't get enough milk at milking, then start seperating at night.

I second the "Keeping a Family Cow" book. It has TONS of information and will answer any questions you have :)

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You will need to milk the cow 2x a day for about 3 weeks. It depends on the calf. Some are light feeders and others are hogs. Also depends upon the mom. First time moms or retired dairy cows tend to have less milk and you can go to 1x a day sooner. If you are a first time owner, and the cow calves after you get her, you will need some tips about udder swelling ect... so you know what to exect and how it can effect your milking.

As suggested by others, at about 3-4 weeks, start locking the calf up at night. Usually anytime after 5-6pm is fine as the calf has had its dinner by then. You can spend some time watching them in the late afternoon to determine when your calf usually dines. They are very consistant as to times so not to worry.

I lock mine up next to mom so that they can see and hear each other and don't stress out; its normal for a calf to sleep away from mom. Baby might moo a bit the first night, but not much. After that, they are just like adult cows and pick up the routine very quickly.

You can either milk the cow completely out, or milk 3 quarters and leave one for the calf's breaky. I have jerseys and I like a well grown calf that will be in good shape to become a milker, so I leave one quarter. I still get plenty of milk for myself and its also means that the cow doesn't need as much feed to maintain weight.

Just remember, the age old rule: trash in; trash out. Feed your cow well so that she can produce the milk, to feed you and the calf. breed back and maintain her weight. I want my girls to be productive into old age, so they get fed the best hay and the best pasture. I also give them a dairy ration to keep them coming in for milking and to make sure they don't lose weight. I have one jersey who is such a prolific milker, that keeping her fed is a thankless task.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You might want to go to the stock auctions and get a day old Jersey or beef calf to put on her right after she has had a few days with her own. Two young calves nursing may keep her milk production where you want it. Like the others here, I just separated the calves each night and took morning milk for us.

Trust me....even with one milking a day, you will have more milk than you know what to do with. It mounts up real quick when you are dealing with a Jersey.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I think this will be what I do. So you milke 3/4 in the morning and then after you switch to once a day you check and make sure the calf suck all out?