One hay for rabbits and goats?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny coincidence. I was just thinking yesterday as I fed our goats and rabbits that their hay is almost the same. :)

I'm giving the dairy goats alfalfa/orchard. I give the rabbits premium orchard (cause they're snobs - lol, jk). I was thinking that I could probably give the rabbits the alfalfa/orchard in smaller/less frequent portions and they'd do okay. I have yet to try it but probably will next time I buy hay.

FYI, I feed my rabbits quality pelleted food (Purina Show/Professional) as the base of their diet. How you feed yours will make a difference in whether or not you give your rabbits the same hay as your goats. You must consider the nutritional value of their whole diet.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My rabbits are pet rabbits, and I've always just fed them the pellets w/an occasional treat-carrots, clover, etc. Lately I've been wondering if I could at least during the summer ease off of the pellets and feed them other stuff. I've always been afraid to try since I don't know what plants are safe to feed them.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My goats are fed alfalfa/orchard. They love it and it is cost effective here.
I only have one pet rabbit now and he gets the same, with fresh produce thrown in daily.
During the good weather he is free ranged in a nice size piece of the pasture and does just fine.I know it doesn't save me much in feed cost, but he also loves just being able to run around.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
No, don't stop...thank you very much for explaining all that to me. You must have worked with hay? Or fed alot....but thanks. It is so nice to have a way of educating myself on the internet, I really appreciate being able to learn all this stuff. :pop
Grown it and fed a lot! :lol: