one more question this about lemons

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i just used like 6 lemons and i have all the rinds left

i was wondering what to do with them cause i really dont want to throw them away cause im feeling guilty about throwing the rinds to almost 20 bananas away

could i put them in the processor and make a cleaner with them and water or something

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Slice them and dehydrate them in your Ronco. Then you can throw one slice into a cup of tea or add to hot water and fresh ginger to make a tea that will cure stomach problems.

Remove the seeds before dehydrating, then dehydrate until very dry and crisp. Gring them up and use the lemon powder as an ingredient in a rub to flavor meats or fish.

You can also use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest in strips and dehydrate it, and then squeeze the juice and freeze it in an ice cube tray and keep it for a time you feel like having lemonade or lemon tea or to put in jars when canning.

Can you tell I have a lemon tree? LOL

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i never even knew you could consume the rinds

thanks so much

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Since you don't have your own tree, scrub those rinds really well before using them other than to clean with....next time, before squeezing your lemons. They are great to clean with! You can keep a couple whole and use baking soda and the rind half to clean your tub or sink or flat top stove.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You don't want to eat the pith, the white part. Nasty.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To take freemotion's response one step further - if you don't know those lemons were grown without being sprayed I would strongly suggest that you only use them for cleaning, and not consumption. IMO citrus rinds are so bumpy and oily that all the scrubbing you can do is not sufficient to make them edible. On the other hand, when you do have non-sprayed lemon/orange/grapefruit rinds they are far too valuable to throw away. I always try to save them as zest, or candied peel, or (in the case of lemons) lemon oil. But if you aren't sure then I would grind them up, soak them in vegetable or mineral oil for a week or two, and use them as furniture polish. Or soak them in vinegar for a cleaning solution.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My dad always ate the rind, pith and all with a shake of salt. I admit that I ate them too. :p :hide Lemons were grown in my back yard in Houston, so they were clean. I never sprayed them.

Latest posts