One of those magical moments that almost wasn't!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So we went traipsing off to Whole Foods after school. It's about a half hour away so we only go once a month or so. I needed a few things that I knew I could get healthier versions of there so I talked the guys into coming with me since it was Tasty Thursday. Well it turned out to be trick-or-treating for kids too. Shopping took a little longer than I expected so we got soup and salad from the food bar there. We were going to go home and eat it but DS really wanted to sit over by the sushi bar tables and eat there. I was tired, I gave in. I went to get napkins and thought I heard my name. I though I must be mistaken when I saw this woman at the sushi bar. She was backing up and I only saw a profile but I though, gee that almost looks like Kim. Well, it WAS Kim and she was backing up to come over and bear hug me. You see, Kim and I have known each other since we lived two houses apart as kids. That would be 1966 or 67. We drifted apart in HS because we went to different schools. We'd bump into each other every now and then. Once she was married we be in touch a few times a year. Then her husband was killed in a car accident. Long story short we haven't talked in person or on the phone since. That was 2000. I send a birthday and Christmas card every year. She doesn't send one back. I don't take it personally. I could call but I wouldn't know what to say. Blah blah blah. Stupid really. I sent her an announcement when we adopted our son and got back a 4 page letter. That was almost 6 years ago. And here we are tonight standing in the middle of the sushi bar area of Whole Foods balling our eyes out. She is remarried and was there with her new husband. We've exanged emails. We're both pretty much home during the day. She has a 6 YO step son and a 7 yo daughter. We suddenly have something in commom! Her older children are in college.
Obviously from the rambling I'm still stunned and thrilled.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
aww congratulations on re-connecting with an old friend! How wonderful for you! I actually got goose bumps and that warm fuzzy feeling reading this!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
aww congratulations on re-connecting with an old friend! How wonderful for you! I actually got goose bumps and that warm fuzzy feeling reading this!
:D
I'm still misting up thinking about it!
Oh, and we were talking about our pets. When I admitted to having 13 chickens, 4 ducks and 6 quail, she didn't even bat an eye. LOL, she knew me so well as a kid this didn't surprise her in the least even if I grew up in suburbia with a dog, a cat and a hamster...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
H23
that is such a cool story. in Whole Foods no less.....

it is wonderful when we re-connect with someone we certainly are best friends with. I am glad you got the opportunity!
Now you keep close to her! Don't let the usual busy stuff keep you from chatting!

Nice story....which almost wasn't :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
H23
that is such a cool story. in Whole Foods no less.....

it is wonderful when we re-connect with someone we certainly are best friends with. I am glad you got the opportunity!
Now you keep close to her! Don't let the usual busy stuff keep you from chatting!

Nice story....which almost wasn't :)
Will do!
And neither of us lives near the store. We're over a half hour away and they were out doing some shopping in that area just by chance and stopped in for food. Shivers! I tell ya, it gives me shivers!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope, no shivers, smile big! :)

second chance and was meant to be!

I grew up with 2 best friends, one I lost touch with after college, but my other friend Peg and I keep in contact wtih emails (and letters before emails, HA) She is out in CO now.....so far from me but chatting with her it feels like old times and seems like she is close. Just nice to talk to someone that knows you from long ago....they know you so much more somehow ya know! COOL you got the opportunity again! :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
It's great when something unexpected brightens up your day. Sounds like you two should stay in touch.

Latest posts