One step at a time to become self suffient....what's next?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
a straight substitution of butter for shortening in some recipes (specifically cookies) tends to yield a much different consistency in the finished product.
Yup. For cookies, use lard as the substitute unless you don't mind them being flatter.

Thingrizzly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I suggest that when processing a hog, keep the leaf fat separate.

The lard from leaf fat is best for pie crusts and other uses where you want a flaky texture.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Thingrizzly said:
I suggest that when processing a hog, keep the leaf fat separate.

The lard from leaf fat is best for pie crusts and other uses where you want a flaky texture.
I was just reading about that here . This is a very helpful article, specifically for those of us who need to know where to start.

Does anyone know if you can render lard for baking from animals besides pigs?

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For inspiration read books and watch movies where people have put it into action (and of course read here - just wish as many SSF people had pages as the chicken site)!

When I need a little charge to get me working on my next step I've really gotten some serious inspiration from: Farm City-Novella Carpenter; Arctic daughter-Jean Aspen; Dick Proenneke - One Man's Wilderness; Animal Vegetable Miracle - Barb Kingsolver.... Also helps when the latest Mother Earth News shows up in my mail box.

To many good reads out there to mention them all but they really help me to identify what is within my reach at this time, what I can reach for later, etc....

This forum has WAY smart people :bow I mostly READ, not worthy....

My Step 1 accomplishment has been getting myself COMPLETELY "out of safeway." I'm local (definition of local to me is either its coming from my property or within a few miles) all the way now. Local "guy down the road" dairy and meat; "some" carbs and drinks from the discount store; the rest from my chickens and my gardens and trading with friends..... Good luck to you! :cool: peace

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have been trying to talk my husband into a couple goats
I am not a goat milk fan so I have my heart set on Irish Dexters :love

http://www.steelmeadowfarm.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/scratchies.jpg
(Those are full grown adult cows in that photo)

Step 1...get land...LOL
wifezilla- If you want to get your way faster, be prepared to play dirty. Figure out his favorite cheese, yogurt, ice cream and find out how to make it yourself.
Make a batch or two. Preferably with organic milk so he knows how good it could taste. Then "remember" that if you had room for a cow- you could do this all the time. Make him want you to have a cow.

If land is totally ruled out for now, could you "cow share" or pasture one at somebody place in exchange for part of the milk? Good luck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This forum has WAY smart people I mostly READ, not worthy....
HH, if you mostly read and rarely write, how in the world will any of us get any smarter? :D Please feel free to contribute....we really need a diversity of ideas and information to make this site a great place. Love your avatar, BTW! :)

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This forum has WAY smart people I mostly READ, not worthy....
HH, if you mostly read and rarely write, how in the world will any of us get any smarter? :D Please feel free to contribute....we really need a diversity of ideas and information to make this site a great place. Love your avatar, BTW! :)
Thanks, and Ok then I will! I'm not usually at a loss for words... Becoming sufficient and walking lightly on mother earth feels good and makes sense. I'm loving this forum. The chicken forum is fun but I can only read so much about chickens! Holding myself back on some of the political stuff gets exhausting too... Not the feeling I'm really after....