One woman's trash is another's treasure.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So as I was riding home from work today I saw an elderly lady taking an armload of planters out to the dumpster by the end of her drive. They weren't anything special. But there were like 60 4 packs.

She looked at me like I was crazy for asking if I could have them. But have them to me none the less.

So. Score!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The nursery near us always has used transplant pots for free. I take them home and give them a bleach-water rinse to kill any diseases and use them when my seedlings outgrow their peat pots.

Reactions: CJ1

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Curbside Shoppers is what I call it. I have set things I didn't want by the street (when I lived in town) and they never lasted long. By the same token, I have stopped to pick up "treasures" too!

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bleach does kill everything if you leave it in it long enough. 5 min in 5% bleach especially. Clorox comes at 5.5%

Or so say dads NBC manuals.

But I didn't think to wash them before using them next year. Thanks.

I like that term. Curbside shoppers. It sounds like a tv show.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I curb side shop when I can. That's how I got some of the plastic netting I have over my chickens. And I have a beautiful, leather topped table I got that way.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think curbside shopping is part of being a homesteader. I always have my eye out for goodies along the road. Likewise, I "set up shop" at the end of my driveway when I have something too good to let the trash man have. Things usually disappear quickly.

Reactions: CJ1

Annabellam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Very true. I've seen people recycle cans and plastics and do amazing things with them.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The towns always have a week where people are suppose to put stuff they want hauled away on the curbside. Everyone drives around looking for treasures.

Latest posts