Online/Correspondance classes for herbal medicine??

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have just been doing it all on my own.My friend and I exchange knowledge and herbs. I say skip any classes that cost money,and use the cash to buy books and supplies. Lots of online videos showing how to process herbs for use. Have fun!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My great g-mamma...maternal, was 1/2 cherokee, a granny woman, in the MO Ozarks. She lived from 1880-1957 I think. Even smoked a corn cob pipe she did. I know she had to have known herbal medicine. That was just part of her history and culture. But, she never passed it down to her daughters, as far as I know. Her and her husband had 10 children. My grandma being the oldest I believe.

Too bad none of the herbal and cherokee was passed down. They lived during the time Indians were being murdered for 1)being Indian, and 2)Oil rights to land. Her father, the Cherokee from NC, forbade his children to discuss their ancestry. I didn't know about the Cherokee till I was 10 years old. My momma told me then.

So, I must start from fresh. I have always been "different". I think/feel...some of it has to do with ancestry...and my own gut feelings. Intuition.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
100K Taoist?? That must be one fancy looking degree!! I agree that most certifications aren't worth the paper they're printed on and thankfully I'm not looking for that kind of program. I don't need to stinkin' piece of paper!! I just want to find someone who has studied herbs and can teach me their properties and how to determine which herb or blend of herbs is right for each situations.

I have read several books and have yet to find one that goes beyond, treat x condition with x herb. Well, what form is best? Granules, tincture, elixir? Is there a dosage? I know that herbal remedies can be just as strong as modern pharma and have read that some should never be used in conjunction with another or in a person with a certain condition. My family is too important for me to venture into herbal medicine blindly.

While I subscribe to a frugal lifestyle, paying someone for their time and expertise is not offensive or a waste of money, IMO! Of course you need to do your research and be aware of what your money is getting you. I would be more offended if someone asked me to share knowledge or a skill I've spent years mastering then told me my time and the years I've put into my craft wasn't worth anything.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne, I've been to their site before and just never saw the free course!! Thanks :D

I like the kit they offer too....may have to splurge on it to help get me started.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What I need is someone to show me what the wild herbal plants look like while they are growing. Go out into the woods and fields and point them out. The books I have don't have good photos. Or they just have sketches.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
What I need is someone to show me what the wild herbal plants look like while they are growing. Go out into the woods and fields and point them out. The books I have don't have good photos. Or they just have sketches.
Check out the "Medicinal Plants of .... " by Michael Moore. He has done several, and should have one that would cover your area. I have "Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West" and find it very informative.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SL, one of my favorite books for IDing herbaceous plants is Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. It has a key in it to help you ID the plants that you see. It's one that I used in my field botany class in college, but it's easy enough for the lay person to use.