Only us chicken people...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Every now and then we would buy a container of fishing worms for them. Now we have our own worm beds that is shared between them and the garden. For winter treats we sometimes now buy a container of crickets, but we're considering breeding them also, at least during the warmer months. And possibly freezing/dehydrating some for emergency rations. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh thank goodness....I thought I might be the only nut that would grab a can to snag grubs for my girls when they're in the run! And yes, those hens sure figured out what the shovel is for and fast! Don't you just love the extra 'help'?

Be proud that you're not 'normal', what ever that is. One of my fav quotes is 'You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same." But we have more fun, huh!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol that was me today, we didnt manage to get the leaves up at the end of fall last year and today was beautiful so i whent out and started getting the leaves up (by hand around the pond because its all rocky) and they were all wet and slimey and gross, but omg i couldnt belive how many pillbugs, kittypillas and tiny soft shell snails there were, i bucketed everything i could find and dumped it in the run for the hens!

they LOVED it!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I'm home, I've been letting Roxy out. She's been quite happy to go scratching all thru the leaves I never got raked up. And, since Henrietta can't walk, she loves it when I'm splitting wood or working in the garden. Any grubs I find, she gets.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I actually did this today! The chickies had a BLAST picking worms off the hoe while I dug. It was so cute how excited they got when they saw me digging around for them :love I dug sme and started a worm bin too, but those darn chooks beat me to most of them :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The garden has "potholes" in it. We've had scattered breaks of spring-like weather over the past month, and on those days, the DS has been digging up worms for the girls.

Three of my hens like to help me in the garden when I'm working. Nothing like hilling a row of 'taters, get to the end, and turn to find out the girls have scratched it all back out flat. :lol:

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Reminds me of my dog "helping" me clear some brush. I'd drag it into the woods ... he'd bring it back ....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Despite the mud, had the girls out today. Thought I might dig up a handful of worms from the garden. They found a mouse instead, weren't interested in the worms. :sick

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I almost got the whole area under the peachtrees dug up, for the girls. I dig about a yard or two every day, when it is not raining. You should see them come running when I am headed out there.
1683_100_9647.jpg

We also collect assorted goodies for the neighbor's chickens. His are penned, so they don't get to forage like ours. I often gather greens (weeds) from our garden and make sure I put any slugs, snails and whatever I come across in the bucket. I love watching them go after it, when he dumps it in their pen.
He is elderly and has a sore shoulder, so he has trouble doing this himself. He really appreciates it, that we do this for him. :lol:

Edited to change position of pic.