Opinions about using Seafoam with small engines?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm interested in experienced or informed opinions about the pro's and cons of using Seafoam (via the fuel tank) to clean out the insides of small engines. Both 4-stroke and 2-stroke.

Anybody?

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not that this will help much, but we used it to clean out the 4wheeler carb and motor (via carb soaking and through the gas tank) and it did a good job. For the short duration it ran afterwards, the exhaust didn't reek, the motor sounded 100x better and it actually idled much smoother. It only ran for maybe 20minutes total afterward, so I can't comment on the extended period afterward.

I'm sure, if we ever get the darned thing running again, we'll probably need to run more Seafoam through it again.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
For the short duration it ran afterwards, the exhaust didn't reek, the motor sounded 100x better and it actually idled much smoother. It only ran for maybe 20minutes total afterward, so I can't comment on the extended period afterward.

I'm sure, if we ever get the darned thing running again, we'll probably need to run more Seafoam through it again.
Hmm... Makes me wonder why it stopped running. Had nothing to do with the carburetor or anything the Seafoam would have had an effect on?:hu

I suppose not, or you would have said... right?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't count on it making up for leaving fuel in the tank.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Don't count on it making up for leaving fuel in the tank.
Okay, I wouldn't. But do you have experience using Seafoam to clean the fuel delivery of small engines?

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i used and sold seafoam in my small engine repair aservice for many years and highly recommend it. it saved many of my customers from having to have me work on their fuel system and they recommended it to their friends. if your engine will run at all you can put it at maybe a ratio 3-4 oz per half gallon of fuel and just let it run. you may have to run it with the choke on till it begins to smooth out. i have heard many engines smooth out this way. some people use spray carb cleaner in their gas but this can result in insufficient lubrication on the cylinder walls. it is a great product. jon

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Snowhunter said:
For the short duration it ran afterwards, the exhaust didn't reek, the motor sounded 100x better and it actually idled much smoother. It only ran for maybe 20minutes total afterward, so I can't comment on the extended period afterward.

Hmm... Makes me wonder why it stopped running. Had nothing to do with the carburetor or anything the Seafoam would have had an effect on?:hu

I suppose not, or you would have said... right?
We haven't figured that out yet either.. of course, it is the landowners not ours, and we're not in the position to invest anymore $ into getting it running either.

The Seafoam cleared up a bunch of gunk and got it running for a short bit, but we figure there's more issues then what the Seafoam can fix between the carb and motor, so now it just sits.

I know this wasn't too helpful.. but it did run longer after the Seafoam. Whereas we've only been able to keep it running for maybe a total of 5-10 minutes over the last 4 months with no Seafoam. :idunno