Opinions....Clothespin Bag

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made a few of these for myself 2 years ago and had the bright idea I could sell them at the community market. What do you think?

I can make 1 bag for $1.57, and am guessing I can lower that cost by searching out cheaper sources for the kids' hangers and cheaper material.

2890_100_7716.jpg

I was thinking of selling them for $5.50 or $6.50

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's cute. I have also seen them made out of little girl's dresses. Would you have other items for sale or would this be your speciality?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is neat! maybe even add a set of pins with it for a premium price (If you have city folk who buy up "green" things you could market them that way too)

I love the idea of a little girls dress for one! I may have to see If I still have one small enough to work like that...

One more idea would to be... make it out of water proof material... or stuff that can withstand the weather... that way it can be left outside for lazy people like me who sometimes forgets to bring in the pins... :lol:

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was planning on selling laundry soap powder as well. Once I research how, I'd like to add softener too.

The community market is geared towards yuppies who like living in the city but want to be as green as possible!! They are my target audience. I would also put them on craigslist.

Just looking for ideas to help earn some extra cashola...I work part-time and am having a heck of a time finding a full-time position. I have been a sahm/homeschooling mom for 10 years and my resume and skill set is lacking a bit given the current market.

Depending on their need I also have a simple and cute apron pattern I can whip up fairly inexpensively. I make tote bags for my daughters that are easy too but aren't as big as the one available at the big chain store for 99 cents so that might not be profitable. I'll go back to selling eggs next fall once I can replenish my egg supply(raccoons got into the coop and destroyed my flock).

I am working on an egg skelter design but need my hubby to assist...that's work in itself!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I stole the little dress idea from someone on here. I paid .25 or .50 for it, stitched the hem closed, then just hung it on a hanger. I have been using it for a couple of years.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Changed the design a little...looks better I think. I am hoping to get a sample of the laundry soap packaged up with a cute label on it to take to the community market. I have found 2 graphics that have inspired my logo....just trying to find someone with the software to put it all together.

I'm thinking of calling the brand Happy Homemaker :hu I like Happy Housewife but that's the name of a blog as is Harried Housewife!!

2890_100_7720.jpg

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We also sell at a nearby city farmers market and have lots a "green minded" customers.

I can see your clothespin bag being a hit. Definitely round out a product line by adding the laundry powder and soap, and the gift/starter set. I know other soap makers who do well at local markets....both the city market and the smaller local community markets. A few additional products helps to round-out any vendor's table and draws more interest. Just be careful not to go overboard and create a cluttered feeling.

The aprons and totes could be a good line as well. I have a friend who does well at markets with handsewn aprons, pot holders, chef hats, etc. I wouldn't worry about the 99 cent chain store totes - that's not in the same "league" as your green, handmade item.

Best wishes!