Opinions wanted: Jaccard Knife Meat Tenderizer

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I've been looking at different grass finished beef websites for recipes and many of them seem to recommend the Jaccard brand knife meat tenderizer. What do you think? Is it just a gimmick? Do you have one and do you like or dislike it? I've never used a tenderizer or mallet on my meat before but I've also never been very attentive to food prep before.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I've been looking at different grass finished beef websites for recipes and many of them seem to recommend the Jaccard brand knife meat tenderizer. What do you think? Is it just a gimmick? Do you have one and do you like or dislike it? I've never used a tenderizer or mallet on my meat before but I've also never been very attentive to food prep before.
They actually work pretty well. Keep it clean and it will last quite a while. Beats Monosodium Glutamate which is not good for anyone.
Hope this helps.

PRIORITY: ROUTINE

... --- ... / ... --- ...

//BT//
Trim sends

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see that it claims *no loss of natural juices*, while also stating that it makes channels within the meat for increased absorption of marinades, and faster cooking. Not sure how that is possible :idunno. However, I have never used a meat tenderizer, so what do I know? I just try to cook whatever cut I have by the best method for that cut - long, slow and damp, or quick and hot, or whatever. Sometimes I miscalculate, and/or just get a tough piece of meat, but for the most part it works.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
ICU -good to know.

MTN -do you use the one you have?

ORchick- that's what I've done in the past too but I haven't cooked beef a lot other than ground due to price, much less good, grass finished beef. And now that I have it, and am starting to actually care what my food tastes like and realizing that it is an investment, I don't want to squander it with poor preparation. I also don't want to squander my hard earned money on a needless gadget. I was confused by what it was telling me too which is why I thought I would ask here. There were a couple of different websites recommending it though.

I must confess that I have been guilty in the past of buying gadgets and then they are unnecessary or don't do what I think they're going to. I'm cooking up the first of my steaks tomorrow night so I guess I'll just see how they come out and do up a roast and see how it does before deciding if I need to tenderize them. Maybe they'll be just fine without.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I were you I would look for a good book on cooking meat - one that describes the different cuts, and how best to cook them. Go to the library; they will have a shelf in the cookbook section dedicated to meat cookery. One that I have is called "Cutting Up in the Kitchen", written by a former butcher. I found this first at the library, and then again at a used bookstore. Its an older book (1970's or '80's), but very useful. However there are others as well.

I am a book person, and tend to think of books first as a resource, but not everyone is, I know. These sites also look to have useful advice:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtocook/a/howtocookbeef.htm

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2009/10/16/how-to-cook-beef/

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
framing fowl said:
They actually work pretty well. Keep it clean and it will last quite a while. Beats Monosodium Glutamate which is not good for anyone.
Hope this helps.

PRIORITY: ROUTINE
[url]http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/1808_images.jpeg[/url]

... --- ... / ... --- ...

//BT//
Trim sends
Dear Sir Monosodium Glutamate was never a meat tenderizer and if you have been using it for one.....
Adolph's meat tenderizer was a popular product but the active ingredient was Papain not MSG More common for home use today are Marinating in an acid or brining.~gd

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
So I did get the tenderizer. I used it on a ribeye steak which is what I cooked the first time around. I prepped it the same except I tenderized after it was thawed but before marinating. It didn't taste different but it cooked faster and was SO TENDER!!! I don't know how to describe it except for maybe fluffy, but that sounds dumb when describing a steak. Anyway, Dh was blown away. Said many times he's had worse in restaurants so that made me feel good. So, it's a keeper in my book!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm cheap, I just use a fork to "tenderize" and make "channels" for marinades and faster cooking if the cut calls for such special attention :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
So I did get the tenderizer. I used it on a ribeye steak which is what I cooked the first time around. I prepped it the same except I tenderized after it was thawed but before marinating. It didn't taste different but it cooked faster and was SO TENDER!!! I don't know how to describe it except for maybe fluffy, but that sounds dumb when describing a steak. Anyway, Dh was blown away. Said many times he's had worse in restaurants so that made me feel good. So, it's a keeper in my book!
Glad it worked for ya :D