Orange peel product

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, made a boo boo....put the orange peels in olive oil instead of vinegar. poo-yie now what to do with a whole quart of this stuff...Ha Ha got any ideas? been sitting in cabinet since orange last orange season...will wait for commens before I throw it away...Thanks

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wonder if you could use it as a furniture polish?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first thought is that it would make a good dressing for salads.

I googled it, out of curiousity, and you could also use the oil in baking recipes and as a marinade for some meats. :D

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Deb and Dawn, will try if you think of anything else I would appreciate it

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Orange flavored olive oil - might give that a try

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've made lemon flavored oil in the past - same process, just soaking lemon peels in olive oil. It made lovely salad dressing, we liked to add chopped herbs and use it as a dipping sauce for bread. Bet it would have gone very well as part of the oil in homemade mayonnaise. Orange oil might work also for these uses. There are recipes for olive oil cakes out there, though I can't find the one that I thought I had bookmarked; orange oil might be good in something like that.
I found this recipe just now: http://www.completelydelicious.com/2011/03/lemon-olive-oil-cake.html - I haven't tried it, but think I will when next I need a bit of something sweet. I should think with your orange oil (for all or part of the oil needed), and some fresh orange juice, this could be very nice.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I looked on line to see if I could find a furniture polish w/orange peels in it. Found nothing, but apparently, you can make furniture polish out of oil and vinegar or lemon juice. So, you might be able to add some vinegar to it for furniture and just have an orange scent to it instead of lemon.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a great idea for a cake,,,,,,will surely try it,,,,,thanks again ORCHICK
Deb: what does the vinegar do in the furniture polish? help to dry it out?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I think it helps w/cleaning the wood.