1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Orchard care: tools, management

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Lazy Gardener, Mar 27, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

It's stupid simple.

The only supplies I need are: clippers, a razor knife, or other super sharp knife, a roll of electrical tape and grafting wax. Instead of buying the expensive grafting wax, I bought a wax toilet ring. That contains enough wax to last my life time!

Once supplies are gathered, it takes about 10 minutes to do a cleft graft. I cut my scion wood, with intent to graft the same day it's cut. I do my grafting when buds are swollen, but before they break. That way, I'm sure there's a lot of sap traveling up the tree to nourish the scion.

While the instructions in the following article states that clefting is used with a LARGE root stock, I cleft graft any root stock that is a bit larger than the diameter of a pencil.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-a-cleft-graft-3269523

2. May 25, 2019
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

thank you. It's too late here this year, but I'll try that next year.

LiGardener likes this.
  3. May 26, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Not too late to start a few pear or apple seeds!!! And, I believe you can bud graft even later on in the summer. I've not tried that yet, but it looks to be fairly easy. That would be a good way to add an extra variety or two to an existing tree.

4. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    LiGardener

LiGardener Enjoys Recycling

Summer is coming chip or t budding still super viable once the bark begins to slip! (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=400) Simple with tools as indicated by @Lazy Gardener . Always a great satisfaction when your new graft breaks bud!

Lazy Gardener and sumi like this.