Organic Chicken Raising! Discussions here!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I can't talk my chickens out of eating a nice juicy worm anyway ... so why worry?

I know in the "good old days" during the depression, my Grandma Nettie told me they used to pick up road kill for the hens. Her family would boil it some in an old iron pot outside before feeding it, but others just tossed it in the hen pen. She said it often made the difference to the protein starved chickens who had to totally fend for themselves in those days. All the grain went to the family.

Road kill might make another cost lowering addition to our hens diets again.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Shelley has escaped the aviary for the third time and again wiped out the pond plants. :barnie

She is smart and cute so I am definitely going to hatch out some of her babies next Spring, but intelligent animals can be such a pain in the butt!!!

I am both mad and proud of her at the same time. Oh well, I have to schedule another trip to the park I guess :p

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so excited to read through his thread! My husband has ok'd chickens (finally!) and we are slowly buying the coop materials. I'm trying to learn all I can before we get our chickies!

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We raise crickets. I assume that the chickens will like them, too. I have thought about doing mealies, but haven't taken the plunge.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
HannaLee said:
I am so excited to read through his thread! My husband has ok'd chickens (finally!) and we are slowly buying the coop materials. I'm trying to learn all I can before we get our chickies!
I invite you to read over my website HannaLee. Just click below. I have LOTS of information for new chicken owners and some really good links as well. :D

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I invite you to read over my website HannaLee. Just click below. I have LOTS of information for new chicken owners and some really good links as well. :D
Thanks for the invite. I have scoured your site already, and passed along the link a few times!

You, actually, are directly involved in my husband saying yes. I have asked on and off for hens for at least 14 years. The answer has always been no.

After joining here, I clicked the link to your coop and asked him to take a look at how cute it was. He really liked the pictures, and began to seriously consider the proposition. He drew his own plans (he is very handy) since we want a larger flock than yours is designed for, but looking at your coop started it!

:D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How cool is that? :D See? Just a pebble in a pond that ripples out and touches many people and turns them into chicken farmers....... ;)

Soooooooo thought provoking! :pop

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Thanks for the fine compliments and spreading the word! By the way I PMed you.
:D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So, I have a confession.....

This week has been really rough, and it's almost made me wish I didn't have chickens. :(