Organized Stock for SHTF

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm cleaning my basement due to a mouse invasion. I store extra kitchen items in my basement and they all need to be washed.

I'm surprised how badly my organization has slipped. I don't think I would actually find things quickly or have inventory of non-food items.

I had used my last wide mouth quart jars without realizing! Fortunately a friend gave me some jars when she moved and my brother gave me some tattlers when he moved, so I can put up the squash and sweet potatoes I already bought. During a multi-year jar shortage is not a great time to run out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am the worlds worst at organizing. It's funny though because when I worked I was the opposite. I knew where everything was, how many I had, how many I needed and blah...blah...blah.

At home I am the opposite. I even went through my pantry fairly recently and had a whole bunch of stuff sorted and organized and arranged by expiration dates. Oldest in the front and all that. My "pantry" is actually an extra room. I have one entire wall covered with closed door shelving so what we have isn't open anyone walking through the room. My extra refrigerator is in there too. There are several other open shelving units that have all my kitchen appliances and canning supplies. The room is quite crowded. Oh - the dogs crates are there too.

I've always thought I should have a white board attached to every closed cabinet with a list of what's in there for easy reference and to help with inventory. I do keep like things with like things. Soups on one shelf, canned meats on another. That sort of thing. But,, if I'm cooking and I go to the pantry to find a needed ingredient I oftentimes have to look for it instead of knowing exactly where it is.

I need to make another stab at rehabbing it, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mice invasions are bad but serpent one are far worse !!!
I cannot imagine. Just burn the house down.
Ahhhhh - I just picked up a little snake that was in the house a couple days ago. It was a tiny little ribbon snake that just lost his way.

A million years ago in another house and another life I found a copperhead under my kitchen sink. That was NOT ok. My dog was trying to get him. I was trying to hold the dog back and control the snake at the same time. I finally held it down with a broom stick and was able to chop his head off with a butcher knife, lol! Good times!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - I ain't skeered of no copperhead. I was bitten by one when I was a teenager and I survived that one. Doesn't that give me immunity? :hu
Sure it does! :lol:

A couple of months ago, there was a copperhead on the front porch. Paris started stalking it, it looked about to strike. Fortunately I didn't put a shovel away, it was leaned up against the porch. I chopped the snake's head off. Paris might not be a fast as she used to be.

Latest posts