Organized Stock for SHTF

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't have dangerous snakes here. I've found garter snakes in the house twice. They just get moved back outside.

Rodents are an issue. Mice, rats, voles, and shrews have all found their way in. The stupid wolf spiders have been coming in like they do every autumn. I kill them. The cellar spiders live inside in certain spots. There is always one or two in the corner of the shower. We leave them. They catch bugs and are fairly easy to teach to stay in certain spots, like near the backdoor.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...During a multi-year jar shortage is not a great time to run out.

ugh mice!

we've been seeing jars in the stores more often than we're seeing lids. we have tons of pint jars to use and not many quarts. i'd gladly trade people for regular sized jars as wide-mouth are just an extra expense. we have lids of either kind on hand now but we ran out of regular jars towards the end of the canning season. we freeze the squash after i roast and scoop it out of the skins. i need to start picking the squash that are ready to come in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't have dangerous snakes here. I've found garter snakes in the house twice. They just get moved back outside.

Rodents are an issue. Mice, rats, voles, and shrews have all found their way in. The stupid wolf spiders have been coming in like they do every autumn. I kill them. The cellar spiders live inside in certain spots. There is always one or two in the corner of the shower. We leave them. They catch bugs and are fairly easy to teach to stay in certain spots, like near the backdoor.

i leave most of the spiders alone, wolf spiders are active hunters and will keep other bugs and spiders down in numbers. we have cellar spiders too and i don't normally mind them. some of the smallest spiders i've ever seen are being used by me as a control for fungus gnats and other small flying bugs that can pop up in the worm buckets (since i bring in dirt and other stuff from the outside once in a while to put in them) - so far they're working out very well. :)

the jumping spiders are usually around too, often i end up putting them back outside after they've hitch hiked in on our clothes.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to go through all my stored stuff. Nothing like moving as incentive to to get that done. I had started it, I used up rice that I stored some 10 years ago in canning my dog food chicken. I started canning the pinto beans I stored so they would be easier to cook and use. I need to use, then restock my SHTF essentials. I'll just have to figure out how much of what I need to store. I have several buckets wheat berries, a mill and my husband was not a fan of home ground flour wheat bread. He preferred Mrs Bairds. LOL LOL

Will all these shortages continue? Will the supply chain remain broken in so many places? How long will this last?

I don't have the answer to this. So I will go through my reserves as I prepare to move to see what I need more or less of. I'll continue to stock up on canning supplies, you can never have too much of that!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Will all these shortages continue? Will the supply chain remain broken in so many places? How long will this last?

Shortages in general are expected to last a year or two, but I think electronics (including cars and appliances) will be slowest to recover. Crop failures will work out the next season. Meat shortages are generally faster to recover. Most shortages are hiccups in a supply chain, from various COVID shutdowns globally, from what I understand. Some of them have snowballed.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i leave most of the spiders alone, wolf spiders are active hunters and will keep other bugs and spiders down in numbers. we have cellar spiders too and i don't normally mind them. some of the smallest spiders i've ever seen are being used by me as a control for fungus gnats and other small flying bugs that can pop up in the worm buckets (since i bring in dirt and other stuff from the outside once in a while to put in them) - so far they're working out very well. :)

the jumping spiders are usually around too, often i end up putting them back outside after they've hitch hiked in on our clothes.

Too many wolf spiders have climbed over me in bed. They don't get a pass. They also look very similar to hobo spiders which we also have.

I used to have a hen I could go grab and bring in. Hold her up near a spider and it would vanish. If the old lady could see better I'd bring her in for it. She isn't as reliable as she gets distracted thinking about the dog food she knows is in the house.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been getting Ball and Kerr canning lids in sporadically here. The co-op food store has been better at it but others have as well.

The microchip manufacturers want the auto industry to come into the modern age instead of using late 90s tech. Modern stuff is much small as well as faster. Smaller means less materials to build.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shortages in general are expected to last a year or two, but I think electronics (including cars and appliances) will be slowest to recover. Crop failures will work out the next season. Meat shortages are generally faster to recover. Most shortages are hiccups in a supply chain, from various COVID shutdowns globally, from what I understand. Some of them have snowballed.

remember when Just-In-Time supply chains were a big thing? heh...

Latest posts