tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Seems that every year I get a ways into the growing season and then find seed packet that I should have started in February. How do you organize seed to get everything planted in the right way at the right time?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am in the same boat--I do the exact same thing but I always seem to have more than enough to harvest and eat so I am not sure it is such a horrible thing. My plan this year is to put it on the calendar--actually write it in and set flag reminders (yep old school paper calendar here). Hopefully this will help. I have a friend that puts them in envelopes with the months labelled for when to start.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seems that every year I get a ways into the growing season and then find seed packet that I should have started in February. How do you organize seed to get everything planted in the right way at the right time?

i keep it simple and routine and gradually try to add a few more things here or there as i can.

one thing i don't do that often is start seeds indoors. we don't have to room for it. i can start a few pots and that is it. i usually don't. i might this year because i have a single bean seed of a certain kind and i don't want to lose it to weather or critters. we'll see. :)

for this coming spring that means i only have peas for early planting, beans for later planting and then any onions that survive storage that i want to use for sets or flowers (for seed production for the coming years). any earlier beans go in between the peas and later plantings of the rest of the starts that we get from the greenhouse (peppers, tomatoes and the large sweet onions), squash also goes in when the ground is finally warm enough (the end of May and into early June). the annual flower seeds go in once the ground is warm enough. since we can have snows into April the exact timing does vary.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
one thing i don't do that often is start seeds indoors.
I don't usually start much either indoors. I do some winter sowing in milk jugs in late winter (late Feb). The one thing I do start indoors are tomatoes because I can't wait til the end of July for their yummy goodness! I was able to start 2 flats at a local farm in their greenhouse this past spring-it was so nice!

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have them in 5 gallon buckets as well as mason jars , Been seed cleaning for the past 2 weeks , Takes about 4 hours to the pound with the hand cleaner.