Original Home Salvage (image heavy)

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
On the property I'm on and looking to buy next year, there's a series of outbuildings that are in rough shape. Two will be torn down (the barn that fell and the wind mill house), 3 will be restored (chicken coop, well house and garden shed) and lastly, the other will be salvaged as its the original home that was built on the property over 100 - 150 years ago but it's going to be a lot of work and will likely be a bare-frame reconstruction.

My plans are to install a wood stove for cooking and heat and potentially a solar panel. I would like to have a small bathroom closet with a composting toilet, and, if possible, a simple shower with a hand pump for water. Either way, there will definitely be a sink bason with a hand pump for water. I will install a rain barrel and a small grey-water resevoir for any water that may be used there. I thought it would be fun for when I have children and a novelty for guests as a summer guest house (those who would be silly enough to visit would find it a novelty). Besides, a night out in the original house on occasion would be a nice little get away for me.

The pictures below show the obsticle (as that is what it truly is)

TheShackBefore2.jpg

Here's the front entrance and main 'view' of the home. I would like to put a traditional red door on this, but the siding will all have to be stripped and replaced

TheShackBefore6.jpg

Side view. The window is probably not salvageable and I'm not sure it'd be worth it anyway.

TheShackBefore5.jpg

Directly through the door. First things I notice: mould, fallen ceiling, water damage on the roof. Remove remove remove!

TheShackBefore3.jpg

A picture of the center of the room and all of the debris. Every bit of it will be coming out and the sunken floor will be pulled, beams sistered up/replaced and any foundation pieces that need to be re-poured will be re-cemented.

TheShackBefore4.jpg

The far right wall. Rain jacket and bed anyone? There's a collapsed brick chimney there that has to come down (the rest of the way).

To top all this off, it smells like skunk in there! I may have to remove eeeeeeverything and wash the beams in order to get that out. I'm a fool for undertaking this, but a sucker for punishment and nostalgic history.

Any hints and tips? Has anyone taken on something as crazy as this?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lol... it might be easier/cheaper to just tear that down and start from scratch.

We live in an 1883 farmhouse that had no running water or electricity when we moved in 3 years ago... there are still holes in walls, and peeling ceilings here, but there is electricity, plumbing and insulation. Now we are starting to do the things that will make this a pretty house again... but we were starting from something that was livable and the structure (roof, floors and foundation) was basically straight.

You're not the only crazy one... we're doing it, living in the house at the same time and now we have a baby :)

Good luck! I do think it would make a neat sort of bunky/cabin for guests.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm curious, how big is it?

Some alternative ideas, for cooking, see if you can find someone that has the range from an old trailer (I saw one on CL for $75.00). A wood stove would be hot in the summer for cooking, though it would be nice to have in cooler weather. You may also be able to find a small propane fridge that way.

For a shower, you can get one of these. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Zodi...roducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_s I have something similar, and it works quite well. I use it when I go on weekend trail rides, or if I need to get a shower when I'm out at the farm. There's nothing like being able to get a hot shower after riding w/a large group of horses when it's dry and dusty out. To heat the water, I use a solar shower. I've found that those don't work that well for actually taking a shower, but they're great for heating up water.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sweetened said:
A picture of the center of the room and all of the debris. Every bit of it will be coming out and the sunken floor will be pulled, beams sistered up/replaced and any foundation pieces that need to be re-poured will be re-cemented.

The far right wall. Rain jacket and bed anyone? There's a collapsed brick chimney there that has to come down (the rest of the way).

To top all this off, it smells like skunk in there! I may have to remove eeeeeeverything and wash the beams in order to get that out. I'm a fool for undertaking this, but a sucker for punishment and nostalgic history.

Any hints and tips? Has anyone taken on something as crazy as this?
Sounds like you've got a handle on it. When I look at a building, I look at the frame & foundation first: What does it sit on? (concrete perimeter, or not.) What kind of shape are the floor joists, wall studs, ceiling joists, and rafters in? Wall materials, windows, and doors are relatviely superficial. Sounds like you've assessed all these things. You've got a plan.

If I think of a 'composite' of several old buldings I've worked on, then yes, they would add up to something as crazy as what you're wanting to tackle. Why do it? Only you know the answer.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I have to publically admit that I'd take it on. I just thrive on near-impossible stuff like that! As soon as someone says I can't do it, hey, it's going to get done one way or the other! Never give up, never surrender! :lol:

Just the clean up and tear out to re-do materials can make a whale of a difference. Go for it if it trips your trigger! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if it is what I wanted, sure I would take it on. everyone has those projects that seem insane, but in the end actually enjoy the process!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow <<<<waves hello from the site of another insane project!!

before:

3884_double_bridges_6-26-10_019.jpg

after:

3884_dsc01196.jpg

And still working on it of course. That is just the outside....we've barely tackled the house...due to time and money constraints.

Back to :pop :caf

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Moxie, wow, it might as well not even be the same place! I never would have known! You're going to have to share more of your story!!