Our book has been published

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not been blogging much or writing on forums recently as we have been busy writing and preparing our book for publication

Our dream of working our own land was fulfilled when they moved to Cyprus in 2009. Gardening in the Mediterranean was a new experience and the book evolved from a website and blog started in 2009 to record our research and experiences.

Olives, Lemons and Grapes: Towards self-sufficiency in food: a guide to growing your own in a Mediterranean or Subtropical climate [Paperback]

Available on Amazon if you follow the following link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olives-Lemo...=1-1-spell&keywords=olives,+lemons+and+grpaes

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
:thumbsup Good for you!!

I wish our climate was milder, I'd love to be able to grow some of the things you can.
Thanks Marianne, believe me sometimes we wish it was milder

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! I used to live in a Mediterranean type climate (Central California coast) where Olives, Lemons and Grapes all grow; it was where I learned to garden. Now I live in a slightly colder region, and have to pamper my 2 little potted lemon trees, and keep them warm in the winter, and its a 5 hour drive to the California olive orchards. This valley does produce some of the best wine in Oregon though, though I let others do that who can do it better, and don't try making it myself. I miss the feeling of luxury that having heavily laden citrus trees outside the kitchen door always seemed to give me (but in exchange Oregon grows really good blueberries and hazelnuts!:lol:)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and rhubarb, ORChick! I learned to garden in Santa Clara County and as the old saying goes "we always want what we can't have." I used to long for enough winter chilling for things like rhubarb and some fruits. Now I live in the high desert where we can get snow any month of the year, lol.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
and rhubarb, ORChick! I learned to garden in Santa Clara County and as the old saying goes "we always want what we can't have." I used to long for enough winter chilling for things like rhubarb and some fruits. Now I live in the high desert where we can get snow any month of the year, lol.
Ain't that the truth! We lived in SC County for 25 years (DH worked in the computer industry), and it took me ages to find the one spot in my garden where the rhubarb would consent to grow. Not the best spot for ME, mind you, but the best spot for the plant :lol:. Oddly, on the Monterey Peninsula, where I grew up, my parents had a thriving rhubarb patch - but they also had different soil. Rhubarb does quite well here in the Umpqua valley, for which I am happy.

Oops! Sorry Okra, a bit of thread drift here :p

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now you mention it, rhubarb is one of the things we really miss, you cannot beat the taste of a rhubarb crumble and using any other fruit never tastes as good.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but I really miss my olive trees (we had 2 young ones), and 3 harvests a year from my garden... *sigh*

My mother lived on Ibiza for about 15 years, and I remember tasting the olives her neighbor made--- he would simply crush the black olives a little bit in wooden boxes and then fill them with sea water for a length of time (don't know how long- my spanish is pretty rusty, and so was his). So good! they were a lot tougher, and still somewhat bitter, but the salt water neutralized enough of the bitterness that they were surprisingly addictive. I've never tasted anything like them since, although the Kalamatas come the closest

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea said:
but I really miss my olive trees (we had 2 young ones), and 3 harvests a year from my garden... *sigh*

My mother lived on Ibiza for about 15 years, and I remember tasting the olives her neighbor made--- he would simply crush the black olives a little bit in wooden boxes and then fill them with sea water for a length of time (don't know how long- my spanish is pretty rusty, and so was his). So good! they were a lot tougher, and still somewhat bitter, but the salt water neutralized enough of the bitterness that they were surprisingly addictive. I've never tasted anything like them since, although the Kalamatas come the closest
Your'e right Britsea the best part of living in Cyprus is absolutely our olive trees. Not only are the olives are lovely, they provide us with gorgeous olive oil, wood and kindling for the stove and we have recently discovered that olive leaves make a beneficial tea.

Apparently, the tea is very beneficial and has antioxidant levels twice that of green tea. Clinical trials are ongoing but the tea is said to lower blood pressure and cholesterol and improve blood flow. The leaves also have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.