1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Our doves!

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by DarkRaven, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Aug 21, 2017
    Swede

Swede Lovin' The Homestead

Back in Braintree, (2014-2016) a dove came to our balcony. It wanted to nest so I put a container with a few twigs in it to encourage the cutie. I'll never forget that coo she said like "thank you" anyway, she nested and a few days later, she laid eggs and hatched them!

Here are some photos! I'll miss her :'(
    IMG_3545.PNG
    IMG_3546.PNG Feeding her two cute babies!
    IMG_3547.PNG
    Aww just look at their faces!

IMG_3548.PNG

A few months later.. the little birds were starting to fly. The first one immediately jumped onto a close tree. Half an hour later, the other one flew away too.

It was quite emotional :hit

I'll miss them.......

sumi likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2017
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

So sweet! I love the pics. When my ex and I first moved in together, we had a double ceiling in our first house, basically some tongue and groove planks he fitted under the beams supporting the reed ceiling that was originally in the house and by then housing some bugs etc. The second ceiling was about a foot too short, so left a nice space, which a wild bird discovered when she flew into our house one day… To our amazement she decided to nest there, on top of the wood ceiling, in our bedroom! She hatched and raised two little ones in there, so we got woken up in the mornings by mommy bird wanting out, so she can go find them bugs. Sometimes a bit earlier than we wanted to get up in the mornings, but you do what the early birds tells you to do, which is open the window so she can go. I took the little ones out when they flew the nest and mom continued to raise them around our house and in our garden. We saw them frequently for awhile afterwards. Mommy bird never got completely tame with us, but she was fine with us getting quite close to her and the babies.

3. Aug 25, 2017
    Swede

No problem!
    Aww sweet story <3!

4. Aug 25, 2017
    Swede

What bird was it?

5. Aug 25, 2017
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

I'm afraid I have idea. I need to brush up on my birds again, actually. I got given a beautiful book on European birds for my birthday, so I can start identifying them now :) When I was a child I loved watching them and knew what all our garden visitors were.

6. Aug 25, 2017
    Swede