Our first frost of the Fall

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We had a patchy frost this morning, it will probably be a pretty big frost in the morning. Its around low 40s and misting rain.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Mabey up north-er. I know it's suppost to get cool here but frost? BTW do you plant cloves of garlic to grow'em or how dose that work? How deep? This is one crop I need to learn to grow! We go through sooo much garlic! I've got radishes now.
The latest forecast this evening has us with chance of frost, but the two counties immediately to our west have frost warnings.

We select the largest of the clove and plant the individual toes pointy end up. They do well in raised beds with loamy soil, that drains well. We've grown hard neck variety (Spanish Roja), but this year we will be planting a soft neck (Silver Rose), so that we can braid them, and hang them in the pantry.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
fancy said:
Low to mid 70's tonight here in FL. I MISS HAVING FOUR SEASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I' m soooooooo jealous!
I (somewhat) miss living in SE LA, and not having but two seasons, summer and fall. It was nice to be able to get three plantings during the growing season. I have photos of me cutting the grass on Christmas morning so that the yard would look nice when family came over. Beautiful green grass, flowers in the flower beds, and green trees.

Having lived immediately on the gulf coast, and south of Lake Pontchartrain, we rarely got freezing weather. The first year that we moved up here, for several weeks in September my wife and I were bummed out because we thought that our trees were dying. Then it finally dawned on us that we were experiencing seasons. We were ecstatic!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah, we had a hard frost last night, had a light frost a week or so ago that took out the basil and some of the tender stuff, and last night took out everything else.

I have to say I'm glad, was a tough year in the garden.

Was supposed to plant garlic yesterday, but...it didn't happen. I'm running out of time here!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm just now getting my fall crops in the ground. I'm hoping I can get some mini-greenhouses up over my raised beds and keep my tomatoes going a little longer.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got a light frost last night. A bit early for us, average is end of October. Got my garlic & onions lined up to go in the ground, just need to add some protection to my winter greens. I'm hoping my brussels sprouts do well this winter.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our frosts can come as early as Sept. and as late as Halloween! We just got a light frost last night and the stuff that was uncovered looks better than the stuff I covered! Isn't that always the way. lol
One more chance of frost tonight and then it is supposed to be nice for another week--gives me one more week for the last of the pole beans to ripen those seeds! But the last zucchini plant lost most of the leaves last night and I had the fruiting end covered, so I guess I am having baby zucchini on the grill tonight for dinner!
On the bright side---It smells like fall out there! that nice crisp leafy smell with just a touch of wood smoke floating around.. and a hint of mushrooms...

Latest posts