Out on a new limb

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi folks! First post so be nice to me!!!!! ;)

I'm trying to quit my job as a Licensed Agent Staff and begin my adventure of a self employed person. I'm blessed to have grandparents that have a produce stand and will allow me to work (well i've still got to get them to see things my way on that but) there once we purchase a building next door so it can be open all year. We grow our own peanuts and when we purchase the building at some point we can have so many other options availabe to travelers for purchase as it will be the only place within a 12 miles radious. I also have recently became a Tupperware consultant, so doing that on the side will help. Question is this.....How many of you have your own business? How did you get it off the ground? Our place has been in business for over 40 years which is wonderful!!!! Throw me some ideas as to what homemade products you would look for while on a road trip to florida as we are 10 miles from the state line?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome

Greetings and welcome! I've never really been self employed, so I can't help you on that one. As for products... We've always enjoyed visiting road side stands while traveling. I guess the big thing while traveling is for what ever items you purchase to not be perishable. Honey, entertaining crafts for children, and such may be good.

Edited to correct FFS (again!)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree, non perishables and other produce that hasn't been processed. Although I've been to many stands that have jelly and salsa type stuff. I guess when I'm on the road I look for stuff I can eat in the car. Or stuff I can send to friends that says "hey, bet ya don't have THIS!!" haha
:welcome

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's a bummer cause I make salsa and jam. they sale pretty good currently because folks like to take them back to the dogsitter or housesitter...that kind of thing. I guess a statement on there saying "refrigerate after opening" would be a good idea.....

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Natural snack options....nuts, dried fruit, granola bars, that type of stuff.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi watsonlane, and welcome!

What would I want to buy? Anything nicely packaged for gifts back home. Anything tasty for eating on the road, and healthier would be great. Anything unique to your area that reminds me of my travels once I'm home.

I have my own CSA vegetable-share business. I started very small, it spread through word of mouth and I only let it grow as far as I can sustain and be a wife and mother. I have added on other parts to it (eggs, meat birds, soap, hopefully honey!!) as I get the main portion figured out and thriving.

I don't have any debt, but I have an easy business for that as my costs are basically a rototiller and seeds. My philosophy is to bank the earnings and then each year purchase one main thing that makes the business easier or more profitable.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome!

I am always happy to find local honey. Orange blossom honey is yummy!

But I think I'd buy peanuts too. Now you are making me hungry.

Do you make peanut butters and such?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Remember, most folks here on ss are not your target market group. We might not buy jams and salsa because we make our own! So keep making those if they are selling well to "normal" travelers.

I would buy raw peanuts to take home to can as my own boiled peanuts. I buy them online now, and the price is crazy. What would you sell me a box of 25# of raw in-shell (not green, as they would mold by the time I got them) jumbo peanuts for, plus shipping to MA? PM me if you would! I currently buy them from Bertie County Peanuts in their bulk buys section.

I think if people are buying things as gifts, then pretty labelling and packaging is a must. Speaking of the dogsitter, how about some dog treats? All-natural dog biscuits or even some jerky treats might sell.

What about soaps, lotions, lip balms, and such? Easy to make.

I have my own business and have had several different ones over the years. Do what you love and stick with it! Learn some sales techniques...there are some great books out there. I love ones by Brian Tracy. The hardest thing to learn is how to close the sale. I think many small businesses fail for this reason. How to close the sale in a way that doesn't feel pushy....but you do need to close a sale in any business.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
People around here go ga-ga over artisan bread and other handmade breads and baked goods. There is a new (to me) business that is basically a mobile bread shop...it is called "Loaf Around the Sound". I almost back ended someone when I saw it, it was like a bread book mobile! Too cute!

Welcome to SS!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some good ideas here. :)

I've owned several businesses. I'd say for one thing, be flexible. You might have to change due to your market or competition. I really agree with the idea of cutesy things for travelers. People will often pay premium prices if they can give an item as a gift. You do NOT want to ne in competition with mass market. You'll never beat them on price. Go for QUALITY, not quantity. :)

Peant brittle often sells well too. Actually, many people will buy frivolous things when traveling, or in hard times I'm finding. I'd vote for all the healthy stuff, and people DO seek out healthy, green, local produce. But they will also treat themselves on vacation. I'd sell both if I were you.

And find out about all the local and federal laws regarding taxes and recordkeeping. No fun, but you do NOT want to be trying to pull it together under a deadline with incomplete records.