Outcast Chicken Problem

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Or just get some birds like my dominiques. I can plop a random hen in the pen in the middle of the day and they look at her and move on, lol. Love those birds! Let us know what you do, I'm curious how it works for you!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My WRs are the same way....they just have more things to do with their time than pick on other birds unless it's long about meal time and that new bird gets into their feed space, then they'll slant them a peck to get them to move over.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I went out tonight and saw she was roosting with the meat roosters and a few stray young hens I haven't been able to catch yet. The little hen next to her was getting noses and she put it in it's place! I had to laugh. I think i can get her into the flock if I do it soon while there are so many o the young birds in there. I'm scheming to put her cage in the hen pen. If she acted calm I don't think she would get picked on.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've decided the best resolution is to give the hen to a friend who appreciates a few pet hens. The friend only has 2 chickens at the end of summer - not enough to stay warm in the coop - so we already gave her a few hens. Her daughters would appreciate a tame hen. As much as i enjoy having a tame hen around, it's better for her to go. She is in a cage waiting to go. :\

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey that sounds like a good enough solution, especially for the hen!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It sounds like she's going to a good home, so that's a positive outcome for her. It's a pity your flock won't accept her though, having tame hens around are nice.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing. I know you will miss her, but it takes a big heart to do what is right for her. :thumbsup

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always just leave throw them in there and things seem to settle down in a couple days. My flock establishes pecking order pretty quick tho

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I had that issue before and kicked the whole flock out and into cages for a few days and then all back together. It resets the pecking order, but then they don't single out one bird and peck it mercilessly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mine either, just the usual pecking order stuff. I have outcast groups or single birds from spring until fall...then I butcher. That changing of the flock's dynamic changes everything. Suddenly the outcasts start roosting in the coop for the first time and not even in the nest boxes, but fully up on the roosts.

I guess they feel like the enemy of my enemy is my friend. :D There's a danger out there bigger than all of them and they need to unite against it. :gig