Outdoor shower anyone?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyoneony have one? There is one where I am working. Thinking of putting one in at the house, using solar heat for the hot water. Anyone have any great ideas for one?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calista, another solution would be to make it a habit of always tipping the pallet upright after the shower (my dad did this). It kept the bottom from rotting out by sitting in the water.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've known two people that had outdoor showers (and one with an outdoor bath! :love) Both set-ups were simple hang-up-a-bag-with-water-and-a-tap types and worked great. One I recall used a black (coloured) bag to hold the water, so it would absorb heat from the sun to make the shower water warm for him.

Yes, I had to laugh at the great memories of a two-week rafting trip we took on the Colorado River and our handy-dandy black shower bag tied to the raft each day to soak up all that sun for getting clean in camp each night. The guide made mock-serious claims that he should charge us extra because he had to row the extra weight and we didn't save any warm water for him.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
insulation wont work. You could use heat tape if you pipe it in copper. I would suggest putting valves in the lines to shut off water somewhere where freeze isn't likely and then putting hose bibs (outdoor water hose faucets) in the lowest point of both lines (hot and cold) so you could shut off the water in winter and drain the system.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calista, I'd be careful with the pallet floor. We had one in an old basement corner shower my dad rigged up, but things kept dropping between the slats. And when it wasn't being used, spiders loved that dark area. Where I live now, I'd be wary of snakes, but I'm not sure how many you'd get there.
When I was a kid, we just washed in the lake. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Tipping it up is a good idea!

I was thinking what if you cover/wrap the pallet in hardware cloth or a similar plastic mesh type? It would give your feet a good grip, keep creatures hiding underneath at bay…

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO just attached a long garden hose to a shower head and fastened it to a pole. He did put a valve near the shower to turn the water on and off. He uses it a lot. It is in spot in the yard that is sheltered from viewing by the neighbors. The water in the hose is usually pretty hot in the summer and he likes to wash off after working in the field on those hot and dusty days.
He hasn't used it this year yet, it hasn't been that hot.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We have one. DH built it when he built the house. Concrete floor, drain, surrounded by rough cut lumber with a rough cut lumber shower door. (looks like a gate). While the boys were growing up it was used daily. (They were always, messy, muddy). Now its where the dog gets his bath. But mostly it just stays full of leaves, spiders, and other crawly creatures.

My suggestion would be to use material that does not have to be cleaned and scrubbed. The wood weathered naturally and the concrete floor can just be raked clear of leaves, spray a little bleach, rinse and its good as new. In 17 years this one has had no maintenance at all. Even the shower head (cheap-o from Wal-Mart) still works. Its attached to the house, (backs up to the Master Bath so hot and cold was not a problem).

My other suggestion would be to consider how often you would use it. If you do have kids, its just one more thing that has to be check and kind of cleaned occasionally. Another pipe to burst in cold weather, another leak waiting for a place to happen. Not to mention the spiders, snakes and other crawlies that think it makes a really nice enclosed, protected living space.

If its not something you would use on a regular basis, and you want hot and cold running water, make something temporary using a water hose that you can roll up during the winter months.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a coleman solar shower bag. You might want to get one of those and see if you like the location you picked, if you would use it, etc.. before adding permanent plumbing.