Outdoor shower anyone?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I habe worked on some outdoor showers. A good hard freeze will kill that $200 shower valve assembly. But the folks around here who have outdoor showers have them at their lake houses. They dont mind spending $500 a year on it.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I habe worked on some outdoor showers. A good hard freeze will kill that $200 shower valve assembly.

Chic, if we decided to try this design and live in an area where average winter temps hover around the freezing mark (no hard freezes), could you give me some advice as to how we might insulate that assembly? Thanks.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
insulation wont work. You could use heat tape if you pipe it in copper. I would suggest putting valves in the lines to shut off water somewhere where freeze isn't likely and then putting hose bibs (outdoor water hose faucets) in the lowest point of both lines (hot and cold) so you could shut off the water in winter and drain the system.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calista, I'd be careful with the pallet floor. We had one in an old basement corner shower my dad rigged up, but things kept dropping between the slats. And when it wasn't being used, spiders loved that dark area. Where I live now, I'd be wary of snakes, but I'm not sure how many you'd get there.
When I was a kid, we just washed in the lake. :)

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Calista, I'd be careful with the pallet floor. We had one in an old basement corner shower my dad rigged up, but things kept dropping between the slats. And when it wasn't being used, spiders loved that dark area. Where I live now, I'd be wary of snakes, but I'm not sure how many you'd get there.
When I was a kid, we just washed in the lake. :)

Good points! We're blessed here to have no poisonous snakes or spiders, but the IDEA gives me the willies.

If we do this kind of setup, it will have to be without a pallet floor. Maybe gravel and shower shoes.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calista, another solution would be to make it a habit of always tipping the pallet upright after the shower (my dad did this). It kept the bottom from rotting out by sitting in the water.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Tipping it up is a good idea!

I was thinking what if you cover/wrap the pallet in hardware cloth or a similar plastic mesh type? It would give your feet a good grip, keep creatures hiding underneath at bay…

Latest posts