Outsmarted a hungry fox!

houdi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
So, we have our 20ish chickens, and tonight was a night that I was actually home for once.

I heard A LOT of chicken noise, and just as I looked out the kitchen window, I saw a Red Fox running towards the field with one of our Barnvelder hens in his mouth.

I tore out the house and bolted out the back door and jumped off the deck, I started screaming and then I saw him take off, WITHOUT the chicken!

I got to where he was, and there was the chicken, just looking scared, but still alive and only bleeding a little bit on one foot. So I saved her.

I got the rest in the coop, and for at least tonight, they are all ok.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear that! Do you have a means to close them up for the night ? Sadly.. now the fox knows you have a food source for it. You might consider getting a live trap and participating in the 'predator relocation program" I personally like to relocate them to forest areas. This time of year you shouldnt have to worry much about cubs.. or is it pups?.. kits maybe?

houdi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, we have a door on the coop and we close them up at night. I had gone out maybe 15 mins before it all happened to throw them scratch and check on the Mamma Cochin (we have a Cochin sitting on 1 of her eggs and 5 of the other girls' LOL!) and they were sticking around because it was getting dark.

We know that we lost a chicken last week, it was a VERY small Silkie and she just vanished. So, most likely, this was his second chance. The neighbors next to us told us about them seeing a fox, and he is watching at dusk sometimes to "fix the problem" but tonight wasn't a night I guess.

I STILL cannot believe that I got her back. You NEVER hear about that happening!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You sure were lucky on that one.
I used to have a really good watch dog. She would sound the alarm whenever anything got into our yard. She saved the day more than once by doing that. I would turn on the lights and run out the door with the dog right in front of me. There were a few times I was able to recover a chicken. And at least 2 times we chased off human prowlers!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had coyotes roll through the yard early once. Dang thing stood about 100yards away with a big old buff orpington in it's mouth. Starring at me. I never saw that bird again.

Good job scaring off the fox!!

Denise that would scare me to death!!

Good dog!!!

g

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Outsmarted a hungry fox! - :thumbsup

Congrats! Not always easy to do ... :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Good job! We had that happen once too. We had a Silver Spangled Hamburg that went broody, under the storage trailer in our neighbor's yard.... :rolleyes: We heard a ruckus one night and I went flying out in my pjs, barefoot. I saw the fox run off and the chicken running toward the coop. She had some bite marks and missing feathers on her rump. Most of her tail was gone actually. We kept her in a dog crate and treated her wounds until I felt the other hens wouldn't peck at her. She was fine and oddly the fox didn't return any time soon that we knew of. She did the same thing a few years later, almost an identical scenario, only this time I didn't save her. The fox ran off without her but she died. At least ole foxy didn't get a meal. :/

houdi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Time for a little target practice. ;)
ABSOLUTELY!!! My dad and brother live next door, and they are getting ready. Traps and the rifles are ready!

Latest posts