oven controls turned "zombie back from grave"- Q for electronics folks

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hey, anyone out there know enough electronics stuff to have a sensible guess on this? What does this sound like:

We have yer basic cheap electric range, with touchpad controls for the oven. Last week someone, er, that would be me :p, accidentally left a large pot lid over the right rear burner when using the oven, and presumably from that holding the heat in (or I suppose it could be coincidence) the oven controls proceeded to conk out in the middle of a fish dinner. The oven heat shut off; digital display on control pad went black; buttons stopped doing anything (no effects, no 'beep').

About 15-30 minutes later (we did not change anything), segments of the digital display began glowing faintly in the upper R and upper L corners of the digital display. Buttons still didn't work. My husband thought he'd try throwing the breaker. The glowing digital-display segments never returned when power was restored.

We said "oh phoo" but were too busy to deal with it. The stove aspect of the range still works fine so we left it plugged in. Digital display continued black, buttons unresponsive, oven wouldn't turn on. (I tried occasinally)

Then yesterday I walk in there and the digital display says "1" in the far-left position. Buttons still unresponsive, oven still won't turn on. Husband tries briefly throwing breaker; again, it kills the display and stays black even when power is restored. Phooey.

This morning at 5 a.m. it was back to displaying "1", and as I watched it spontaneously changed to "12:00" and the buttons then worked (beeped when pressed, etc). But when husband tried to set the clock time, it all went black. Resetting breaker once again did nothing.

Came back from errands at noonish, and digital display was "12:00" again (well, actually 1:32, so obviously it'd come back on an hour and thirty two minutes earlier) and the buttons were all working. (I have not actually tried turning on the oven yet, I am afraid it will all go black again :p)

WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Loose connection? Evil spirits? The mechanical undead? Invisible appliance-repair fairies that work verrrry sllloowwwwllly?

Not especially interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a repair call unless unavoidable, plus mainly *curious*,

Pat

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like the board the LCD is mounted on is blown. Suggestion, if either you or hubby feel comfie enough, skip the repair fees, google the make and modle of the range. See if you can order that part, and print out a diagram of your unit. By printing out how the unit is assembled, you can usually make out how to get at the area ya need to.

Reminder, service fees are usually 80-90% labor, and 10-20% parts. Unless by law you are required to have someone licensed to do the repair, why pay the extra $$$. We're sappose to be self suffient, eh???

Good luck,

Jax

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
www.repairclinic.com

My not-so-handyman husband was able to repair our dryer, our fridge and the dish washer using instructions and parts from this site.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
This is an excellent site and buy all my parts from there too, matter of fact I have to buy a new set of agitator dogs for washing machine from there soon.

Most new if not all electronics appliances now have a computer control type boards along with other ancillary board and each can cost several hundred dollars. When you power something off - leave it off for no less than 30 minutes with overnight being best, this will allow all the residual capacitor charges to dissipate and reset the logic lines to zero.

Unplugging is recommended over throwing the breaker as you can still get a high enough phantom voltage induced in the wiring to keep a small amount of power on the circuits. Post the complete model and serial number and am sure others will search for solutions as a parallel effort.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Repair clinic is great. Even returns are easy. We only goofed on the parts once though. Their dx info is so accurate mistakes are rare.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
And for those of you who want to repair your circuit boards to the component level I have many parts listed for sale. I have a few thousand more to list but this was a start.

When I closed my repair shop I hired a buddies wife to pack the small things, she misunderstood me and dumped thousands of tiny parts from the separate part bins into one large box - it will take me several months of Sundays to sort them and do not look forward to it.

http://xpertpc.ecrater.com/c/1222245/electronic-components