Oven Element Just Burned Up on me! :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup, couldn't have been better timing right?
:barnie

Put some sweet taters in to bake for dinner tonight with Tony's parents on Christmas Eve, and my present was an oven fire. Wonderful !

I came into the kitchen and thought, wow, that is really bright in that oven, lol, I must have the oven light on...(which I never turn on anyway,,,hmm...)----so I flipped the switch and it got brighter.
Hmm....so I flipped it again and it still got brighter in there........so big hmm now!

Opened it up and the element was on fire, you know that super hot orange/white flame and a few flames licking up.....I thought , oh boy....hit the off button and it died down fast.

WOW...that is how houses burn up. Reminder to all, never leave an oven on while away...even for a short time. (good advice for me to remember again! LOL)

So taters in the toaster oven on high. Tony ran to the store to get propane tanks filled, going to have our bbq chicken and ribs on the grill instead of roasting the full chicken in the oven. So we are fine with no problems. I can easily make do without an oven. Have been since I got the little toaster oven anyway..LOL

So....goes to show, always something goes wrong!

Can't wait to hear all of your "went wrong" stories after the holidays because I know these things just don't happen to me -- or do they???? HA HA

merry christmas

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
You seem to be on quite a roll of things having dramatic breakdowns.
I had an oven element basically explode once I was in another room and heard this ka-boom and the whole room lighted up. The element had shorted out.
But it was easy to fix- I just bought another element and plugged it in- everything worked OK. I hope your fix is as easy. Mine was at least 10 years ago and appliances were simplier.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL ETR
they say "it all goes at once"--I guess it is my time! :(

Ka-boom and the room lit up! My goodness, that is heart attack time for me!!!!!! WOW...that must have been scary.

Yea easy fix I am sure. Unplug the old and get a new one but not in the mood to hunt thru Lowe's today....so some other time.

Tony has an MRI on Friday....maybe after that we will hit Lowe's and get the new element.

(I guess Tony fits into the category---"it all goes at once"-)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Ooops! At least you have the grills as a back up!!
I hope the rest of your Christmas goes off with out a hitch!
I pray Tony gets good results and some answers when he has his MRI!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks PP
he has a mild headache each day now for like 2 months....hmm....so Dr. said he wants an MRI of head, neck, back and rule out alot of things. This Dr. said he will find out why he is not well....I like that in a Dr..LOL

all going well...have to get dressed and get the table set and all that...taking some down time. Tony is resting now after putting together Nicole's little pooter-scooter for Christmas. I am messing on the 'puter but all will be hopping here in about 1 hr. Well, not hopping cause his parents are hoppers..LOL

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, those darn elements seem to know the best time to cause the most aggravation. Many years ago, ours went out Christmas morning. We had only been married a couple of years. It was the first time the family was coming to our home for Christmas dinner, and my wife wanted to make a good impression. She had put the turkey in just twenty minutes earlier.

After what seemed forever on the phone, we located a grocery store that was open. I drove the 30 miles (one way), picked up a ham, and we put it on the grill. It turned out great. I think that my wife got her first gray hairs that day.:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think that my wife got her first gray hairs that day.

***LOL---great first impression! LOL

yes it is always something and it never fails to hit on a holiday!

our dinner was fab. never missed the stupid old oven....:gig

so there oven!!

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Must be the season for ovens to go! Mine is an LP gas stove and the oven isn't working. DH thinks it's either the orfis or the burner. He will have to check it after the holidays. Thankfully, Christmas is at my folks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your oven also!
Oh MY!
what is it with ovens now....I guess the little SS elf is pushing us to do away with our ovens..LOL..go more SS without one..LOL

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, but, one needs an oven of some sort to bake in! I prefer not to go back to the old wood cooking stoves!