Over due update

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello folks!

It's been nearly 6 moths since I've posted on here. And quite a bit has happened in that time...

If you all recall I had lost my mother late 2009. I knew I was going to loose the home that she left me because of no will and that I was upside down due to the economy and lack of employment. A few weeks after I finally help my estate sale, my fiance called me. Her father had been hospitalized and she knew her and her mother couldn't take care of him by themselves. They asked me to come live with them. Sadly, before I had time to pack and move even my most basic of needs, he passed away the last week of September of 2010.

I still moved in with my fiance, our daughter and her mom. It's been fantastic being part of a family. I cannot tell you how wonderful it has been, to be part of a family again. A year living by myself, and all the crap I went through.... say it was horrible is an understatement.

That's not to say, we're not having some issues. Without going into all our family's details and such, we need a place to live now. The only income we have currently is my finace's mother's SSI. I would be out looking for work...even a temp job, but as of about a week ago, her mother signed the paperwork with a real estate company to being the process of doing a short sale on this house.

What I could use is a bit of help from you all on finding a place to live...

What we need is a 3 bedroom house, with 2 baths preferable a ranch style home, because her mother has health issues and even this split level has too many stairs. We don't mind doing a bit of restoration or rehabing, so long as the place is livable and in move in condition. Because of our financial situation, either a rental or rent with option is probably the best way to go. With a rent in the $500-$650 level. (Her SSI is about $1700 a month). With a child that's about to finish 1st grade, quality of schools is a major concern. With two dogs a fenced yard is a must. Preferably one that's large enough to plant a substancial garden. (and if local regs allow, maybe even a coop for chickens.) Fiance says, after many years living in "the city" she wants to move to "Mayberry" or just outside of there. We addmittedly do like our conviences, even though we both would like to move someplace more rural.

While all of us would love to move some place warmer then the suburbs of Chicago where we are now (winters are getting to us), the cost of moving as we've already determined would be prohibitive if we tried moving any extreme distance from where we are now. (eg california is out of the question).

That's all I have to say for now.... Preparing for another estate sale/gararge sale!

Jax

p.s.

I owe a pressure cooker to someone who helped me with the sale last year. I still have it!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Finding a 3 bedroom around here in SW TN would be around $500 a month, and the school systems, (though they are public schools which in my very almost humble opinion on this topic reeks of too much government crapola) in my county at least are some of the better schools around our state that I have seen consistently ranking in the top 10 though we are very rural. You should be able to get along fine down here, and it's not too far of a haul. No state taxes either when you do find work :cool: Around here there is barely any local government interferrences and most folks keep some sort of livestock now.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do have to agree with the school systems with ya! Today for example, I was doing yet another lesson on counting change. My daughter just couldn't do it. She insisted on having a "number grid" in order to figure out two different ways of making 43 cents using pennies, nickles and dimes (they're not up to using quarters yet). This aggravates me to no end. Just a few days ago, the other half and I took her to a McDonalds play place. We had no intentions of eating there, but all three of us were thirsty. So I ordered a large diet soda. Total with tax was 1.08 cents. I had a five dollar bill and some change. I offered the casher, whom happened to have a shift manager badge on, 8 cents, so I could get 4 dollar bills in return. He was so flumaxed by this, instead he gave me 3 bills and .92 cents back.

It's for this reason I wouldn't let my daughter use her "number grid". I want her to be sufficent enough mathmatically speaking, to be able to make change without needs a calcualtor or some sort of grid/sheet to figure it all out. By 7 1/2 years old, she shouldn't be confused on how to count to 43!!!

I will take your advice and check on home rentals in that area. Do you have a suggestion for a general area/city I can look at?

thanks,

Jax

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know this thread isn't about math, but I hate it when I go into a store, the cashier rings in the wrong amount for what I've given them to pay, and I have to tell them how much change they need to give me back.

Hope you find a place. You don't want to move to NJ. Taxes are too high, insurance is too high, rents are too high, and many places (even rural areas) won't allow you to keep livestock.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NJ sounds like IL.! Idiots in office are doing everything opposite of what most of you and I would concider common sence. How do you stimulate job growth and hiring by raising corporate taxes???! Oy! don't get me started on this!!! While it's true, once we do get settled into a new place, one of my immediate plans is to start looking for work, it is a concern. That's one of the reason why, while we are looking for a more rural area, it still needs to be easily commutible (sp) to a more populated are where there's jobs.

Jax