Overpopulation...how does this set with you?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Basically the "elites" of this world want to reduce the world population about 90%.

What I found very interesting was this link about gmo's in the comments.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/2...ked-to-Sterility-Infant-Mortality-in-Hamsters

It talked about an experiment with hamsters that became sterile after consuming gm soy for 3 generations.
Also farmers complaining about their animals becoming sterile after consuming gm corn.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't think government should put limits on reproduction. However, I think people should think of the effect they are having on the earth when they continue to reproduce beyond just replacing themselves. I am appalled when people seem to want to have as many kids as they can. Don't they care about what is going to happen to those children and their children's children on this woefully overburdened planet? I don't understand what motivates people to keep churning out kidlets in an overpopulated planet.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, in Canada, where you have to be crazy to live anyway, there doesn't seem to be much need for population control...they are actually tryng to bring immigrants in to keep us populated now that the baby boomers are at retirement age...or so I've heard anyway....we have a population in all of Canada of 34,278,400...Canada is 9,984,670 sq km big...which is 3,851,807.61 square miles. That's 112 square miles per person...hmmm sound like alot of room to me!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
I don't think government should put limits on reproduction. However, I think people should think of the effect they are having on the earth when they continue to reproduce beyond just replacing themselves. I am appalled when people seem to want to have as many kids as they can. Don't they care about what is going to happen to those children and their children's children on this woefully overburdened planet? I don't understand what motivates people to keep churning out kidlets in an overpopulated planet.
Really? The motivation is normally love and a big family is not overburdening the planet as much as greed is doing. When the planet's resources are being stripped because of the greed and extravagance of a few as opposed to the resources that may be used by a larger family, then I will take love over greed any day.

Oh...and you might ask Aly what her motivation was...I believe she just had her sixth child not too long ago. :rolleyes:

Youngest in a family of nine. :cool:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Really? The motivation is normally love and a big family is not overburdening the planet as much as greed is doing. When the planet's resources are being stripped because of the greed and extravagance of a few as opposed to the resources that may be used by a larger family, then I will take love over greed any day.
Funny you should say that Bee - Yesterday on a local radio show one of the guys said that apparently the recession was not having an affect on the elite. They are still taking their vacations, going to extravagant hotels and demanding more and more high priced extravagant goods. Due to their demands some people are finding niche (is that spelled right) markets and making a fortune off of their wants. He went on to say more about how they have never missed a stride in spending and about that time some one cut me off in traffic and then rear ended the guy in front of us. I was to busy to pay attention. But I would have loved to have heard what he said.

edited to add: I think in some countries the death rate of their children is so high due to the horrible environment they have to have large numbers of children just to guarantee the survival of a few. In more affluent countries large families are not the norm but bless those who have them. We could also say that people living longer is the problem, not the number of children born. It has not been that long ago that living to be 50 or 60 was living to a ripe old age. Now 60 is the new 40.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I don't think the world is over populated. I watched a documentary on population on Discovery or some other network. THey were discussing how our population growth has slowed down and that's a bad thing, especially for our country. When you stop having babies, then there are more retirees than people working, and there's no way social security can survive that. Also, we need younger generations to help stimulate the economy, like buying houses and such. Now that most of the baby boomer generation has bought their houses, there's really not enough of a population of buyers out there to really stimulate the market. There used to be 1 worker supporting about 1-2 retirees, and now it's something like 1 worker for every 4-5 retirees. It was a really interesting show.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can type in your birthdate here to see where you fall within the world population: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15391515

Here's what it tells me:
When you were born, you were the:
3,881,519,426th
person alive on Earth
78,133,317,813th
person to have lived since history began
The U.N. says 7 billion is not a problem; a larger percentage will live in cities and be a part of the workforce. Apparently there are sufficient resources for us all thus far; hopefully we will use them well.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I don't think the world is over populated. I watched a documentary on population on Discovery or some other network. THey were discussing how our population growth has slowed down and that's a bad thing, especially for our country. When you stop having babies, then there are more retirees than people working, and there's no way social security can survive that. Also, we need younger generations to help stimulate the economy, like buying houses and such. Now that most of the baby boomer generation has bought their houses, there's really not enough of a population of buyers out there to really stimulate the market. There used to be 1 worker supporting about 1-2 retirees, and now it's something like 1 worker for every 4-5 retirees. It was a really interesting show.
Right. There's a huge population bulge in the US. Sadly, they were not self sufficient, so their kids are paying for their retirement.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Emerald said:
BarredBuff said:
I think overpopulation will/is a problem but I mean what can you do?
Humm..... get rid of the politicians first? ;)
Lawyers would be a bigger reduction, and it would exostentially increase the average persons happiness.
According to this bit of information I found on the interwebs (below), lawyers in the USA account for only 0.39% of the population.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_country_in_the_world_has_most_lawyers_per_capita