Owning your own business

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Couple of bumper stickers I've seen over the years:

A self-employed person is someone willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours for someone else.

Self-employed people can work their own hours; just pick any 18 out of the 24

I love my boss... I'm self-employed

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was asked how I liked being my own boss. I replied that every person that walked in the door was my boss.

Working 18 hours out of 24 ain't no joke.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same. No business, we've had some ideas but haven't gone for it with any of them. What're your ideas?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It is nothing new or mind blowing. I have been thinking about starting a greenhouse business as the main operation. My community is pretty small, but there is no where in the county to really buy good, reasonably priced plants. The local hardware store sells them, and I could undercut them on prices and still make a fortune. They're so expensive.

My question is do you take baby steps and do it gradually or do you go head first. I could probably build a greenhouse on the property this year, and be in business next year. However, it would be small scale and very limited in scope. Do you do that and build up?

Simultaneously, there is a property in town off of the parkway that used to be a garden center. It is out of business and not being used. Do you take the plunge and buy it with a loan and go at it on larger scale? You'd definitely be in a much better location, and would have ample opportunity to try other venues.

So, that brings me to the next idea. If you had that property with the building, then you could open a storefront. It would be a good place to sell eggs (free range eggs is another business I want to try), homemade soaps, honey, produce, molasses, etc. Then, of course, other things a gardener would need as they buy plants. You could sell mulch, tools, fertilize, compost, and so on.

Some other ideas I had was repackaging bulk foods. There is an Amish market about two hours from here that makes a killing by doing a Lehman's type store. That community is larger, but does not have the traffic or tourism we have in the area.

Which brings me to the next piece to the puzzle, our area is becoming increasingly "touristy". With that being said, a business that features an agri-tourism component would appeal to the folks who come from out of town. I don't know exactly what that is just yet, but it is something to consider.