oxygen absorbers & long term bean storage

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When storing dried beans in mylar bags for longer term storage, is it true one would not want to use oxygen absorber..? I think i read this somewhere recently, but can't locate the article.I recently stored wheat with DE and oxygen absorbers in mylar bags needed for longer term storage. Should DE be used when storing beans as well...?Thanks...Kevin

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I could provide you with an answer but I am wondering the same thing. I want to long term store beans in buckets with gamma seal tops and I am not sure if I need mylar bags and oxygen absorbers for this process. This will be my first attempt at really long term storage. Also I was going to use Sweet PDZ instead of the DE, I am not sure if this would work.

I also want to store rice and flour. Anyone have suggestions. I do not have a way to grind my own grain into flour and so I thought I would purchase it already ground and then store it in the buckets with the gamma seal lids and oxygen absorbers (no mylar bags).

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can't store wheat that is ground into flour, you have to freeze it and only up to one year. You can buy a wheat grinder if you need longer storage.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
melgsix said:
You can't store wheat that is ground into flour, you have to freeze it and only up to one year. You can buy a wheat grinder if you need longer storage.
Yes you CAN store it longer than one year.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/Extend_Shelf_Life.html
scroll down to the part about storing flour. I have a 5 gallon bucket of flour that has been frozen twice,then put into the bucket with oxygen absorbers. I am going for it to last at LEAST 3 years, and maybe even longer. My storage area stays about 50 degrees year 'round.

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/menu.food.store.html This is the link to the main page. TONS of information here!!