Oyster shell to prevent blossom end rot?

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I'm dreaming of gardening while it pours rain outside, and started wondering about blossom end rot. It's not been a huge problem for me, but it does happen now and then. I've read about putting eggshells or powdered milk in the hole when you place your seedling, has anyone tried oyster shell? I have a huge ol' bag of it for the chickens, and since they're all new layers they don't need hardly any. Would this type of calcium be available for the plants to absorb?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I use crushed eggshells, so I don't see why that wouldn't work too. I usually drop a teaspoon into the planting hole under the plant and then pull the dirt over it. That nips it before issues arise. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We use egg shells and some dry milk. Its the calcium that does it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make sure you keep the soil consistently watered as well. They can't uptake the calcium if there isn't enough soil moisture. I grew several plants up for a friend of mine one year. Planted them in good new soil in pots, and he didn't water them enough so all the tomatoes got blossom end rot. Of course his lack of watering was extreme. He wouldn't water until stuff started wilting.

I like eggshells personally, because I can grind them up fairly fine. The oyster shell I get my girls is large in comparison. No reason it shouldn't work.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, the hens like to eat the eggshells better than the oyster shell, so I'll save the eggshells for the hens and try the oyster shell for the maters. Thanks all.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
donrae said:
Well, the hens like to eat the eggshells better than the oyster shell, so I'll save the eggshells for the hens and try the oyster shell for the maters. Thanks all.
Just keep in mind that it takes some time for oyster shell to break down so the Calcium is available. It must be in the soil at the time of planting at the latest. If you see any trace of end rot a dilute solution of Calcium chloride sprayed onto the leaves will usually save any fruit that is still in the bloom phase. I have no info if this is considered Organic or not.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use epsom salt for blossom end rot. Its inexpensive, works very well and can be broadcast over the problem areas or dug in around the base of the individual plants. I have had sucess in just 1 month.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I use epsom salt for blossom end rot. Its inexpensive, works very well and can be broadcast over the problem areas or dug in around the base of the individual plants. I have had sucess in just 1 month.
Epsom salt [Magnesium sulfate] works fine on magnesium deficiency Blossom end rot is a Calcium deficiency condition and epsom salt has no Calcium! Use what works for you but please don't comfuse people that might have Blossom end rot because it [epsom salt] Just will not help that condition. ~gd

Latest posts