Painting cabinets in a trailer/mobile home...

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used Kilz oil based primer on many applications. It is very durable, and also great as the primer under the finish paints.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I LOVE Kilz! I particularly love their high gloss bright white paint to use on ceilings.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I LOVE Kilz! I particularly love their high gloss bright white paint to use on ceilings.
Meee too!! I bought my first can back in 85....when we had our mobile home. I was so sick of brown...paneling, carpet, everything. At least, I could paint the walls.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YES. If there is something I find more depressing than brown paneling, I can't imagine what it is. I think coffins should be constructed of brown paneling...I can't imagine any other wood being more fitting.

Every time I've moved to a place that had brown paneling, I've painted it.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:pop I need to redo my cabinets but they are the cheap fake wood cardboardy like things that don't take washing well at all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's what Mom's are as well...that plastic coated cheap wood-look cabinets that they placed in all trailers 20 years ago...and before then. I don't know what they put in trailers now...maybe they are a better quality?

We are painting them a beautiful, high gloss cream color(Glidden Corn Silk) that will be easy to clean, will actually look clean when it IS clean and will brighten and lighten up her kitchen.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actuality think the new ones in trailers are worse! I have a friend with a 2 year old double wide and all the cabinet doors under sinks are already starting to swell in the corners.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's why, if I were going to purchase a trailer, I'd buy an older one and just replace the cabinets and supplement all the insulation, place a roof and a very big porch on it, build in one section of the porch for a wood burning stove or invest in an outside wood burning furnace. Cheap but snug home after a few adjustments.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yes, yes, Bee, please post pictures!! I love seeing other's projects!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll tell you another thing we are doing....sort of a counter top transformation on the cheap. We are going to use stick on floor tiles and apply extra glue on the edges and just see how long they last and how durable they can be. We really have nothing to lose as we are covering up some country blue formica cheapies that came in the trailer. We already had applied the same tiles to the floor a couple of years previously...they have a sort of marble look to them.

Can't look any worse than it looks now. Not that Mom's trailer is ugly...it's just...dated.

Her cabin looked like a refugee camp....sparse, very used furniture and not a one piece was comfortable or even matched. Mom is not someone who really cares about creature comforts or style..she is all about function that can be gained cheaply. The changes I've suggested so far have really impressed her, didn't cost a lot and really changed the feel of her cabin. She really enjoys that space now and is more tuned in to creating some warm tones and comfortable seating and lighting now. We haven't finished it, by any means, but we sure are getting there.