Part-time "hobby farming" on 3-5 acres?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Problem is, he lives in NJ. You can't get raw milk from a farmer unless you own the cow. My hubby is constantly asking about getting it and I have to keep reminding him that we can't get it. And, I am NOT going over the bridge to another state where I can get it. It wouldn't be worth the bridge toll to say nothing of how far we'd have to go to get it.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In VA raw milk can be sold "FOR PETS" only. But, authorities have no restrictions on "herd shares" and generally do not get involved much with those situations. Rather tolerant as it is not a huge industry but, is definitely out there. Most operations are a few head of goats or cows and actually pretty well managed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Texas, raw milk sales are allowed on the farm. We were buying raw milk from the only certified Guernsey dairy in Texas, but they went to $12 a gallon. There is a Jersey raw milk dairy 2 counties north for $6 a gallon, but is too far, so I now buy that white stuff from the grocery store.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a thorough assessment, and that is good. With the septic, size of property and road, there are some major situations that would need to be remedied. Remember, though, banks are not in the business of owning houses. It does them no good. And, if it has been on the market for a while, they might give you a big break to get rid of it. Perhaps speak to the farmer who has the property to see if he is willing, and how much he would want for the acreage you need to make it to 6 acres. However, with that said, I think you are smart to keep looking while keeping your eye on this one at the same time. Are you the first house on the road? For some reason, I thought you mentioned something about that in an earlier post. If that is the case, I would just worry about my portion and let the others after me to take care of themselves.

Where about in NJ is this place? NJ has some beautiful areas. I am partial to the northern NJ area myself.

Keep us informed of your search progress. Love to hear the updates.

Jim

McCulloch610

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a thorough assessment, and that is good. With the septic, size of property and road, there are some major situations that would need to be remedied. Remember, though, banks are not in the business of owning houses. It does them no good. And, if it has been on the market for a while, they might give you a big break to get rid of it. Perhaps speak to the farmer who has the property to see if he is willing, and how much he would want for the acreage you need to make it to 6 acres. However, with that said, I think you are smart to keep looking while keeping your eye on this one at the same time. Are you the first house on the road? For some reason, I thought you mentioned something about that in an earlier post. If that is the case, I would just worry about my portion and let the others after me to take care of themselves.

All good points-I have thought about reaching out to the rear property owner just to test the waters. As for the road issue, the house is actually next to last on the road and the road is about a 1/4 mile long. Great for privacy but concerning for other reasons.

Where about in NJ is this place? NJ has some beautiful areas. I am partial to the northern NJ area myself.

Lebanon Township-a large, rural township north of Route 78 at the northern tip of Hunterdon County. Definitely one of the nicest areas of NJ by far. Property taxes (by NJ standards) are quite reasonable as well.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Have you checked on Land watch? They have a lot of properties listed. If you can find one that has a forestry stewardship in place, the taxes are dirt cheap.

McCulloch610

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you checked on Land watch? They have a lot of properties listed. If you can find one that has a forestry stewardship in place, the taxes are dirt cheap.

I do look from time to time, but most of the properties there are pretty large (50+ acres) and therefore too expensive. In NJ, properties that large are mostly sought after by developers if they're not otherwise preserved, so you're bidding against millionaire investors looking to build a subdivision and turn a profit, not other folks looking to farm it. I have seen a few sub-10 acre properties from time to time though and will keep looking.