Part-time "hobby farming" on 3-5 acres?

McCulloch610

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just to update everyone I may have found another property, but will have more details soon. It's 8 acres, already in farmland assessment, and the house is older/smaller, but it's also much cheaper, which, depending on the condition of the property, may allow us to purchase it with a renovation loan. Currently there is a small orchard (from what I can tell from property description and satellite photos) of about 2 acres planted with quince, Asian pear, persimmon, and paw paw. Anyone have any experience with these? There's an additional acre and a half that is mostly clear with a barn nearby that would probably make a great pasture (whole property is dead flat). I talked to a local farmer the other day who raises Dexters and loves them. He told me that 1.5 is plenty for a Dexter cow and calf, but that I'll likely need to start feeding hay in late summer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds good! I love persimmons and Asian pears - but no personal knowledge of quince or paw paw.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds good. I would love to have flat land, but here in the Pocono Mountains that is a rare occurrence. Keep us updated.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An orchard would be great for chickens to eat the dead falls. Plus the chickens would lessen the insects by eating the larve in the dirt under the trees.

tressa27884

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In Texas, raw milk sales are allowed on the farm. We were buying raw milk from the only certified Guernsey dairy in Texas, but they went to $12 a gallon. There is a Jersey raw milk dairy 2 counties north for $6 a gallon, but is too far, so I now buy that white stuff from the grocery store.
So does that mean that as long as somebody comes to your property you can sell them raw milk?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So does that mean that as long as somebody comes to your property you can sell them raw milk?
Pretty much. You'll be close to Jersey Girls dairy in Winnsboro. They have some bodacious raw milk for $6 a gallon. Devonviolet on BYH buys milk there and so does Latestarter.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I understand - you CAN sell raw milk at the farm in Texas - BUT - you must have a permit to do so.

Got my info here:

http://www.realmilk.com/state-updates/raw-milk-statutes-and-codes-page-5/#tx

TEXAS
Summary:

Raw milk sales are legal. Sales must be on the farm and can only be directly to the consumer. Farmers must obtain a Grade A Raw for Retail Milk Permit from the state Department of Health. Licensees can sell milk products such as raw cream and raw yogurt as well. There are currently eleven retail raw milk licensees in the state with all of them selling only raw goat milk and raw goat milk products.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wish VA would allow. Now, only herd shares qualify...BUT NO inspection or licensure. They really don't/haven't bothered any of the herd shares I know of and there are several-- couple cow, couple goat. Otherwise, we can sell only for "pet use" raw milk. Some customers have large pets :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure about herd shares in Texas... I think a few folks have tried it, but I haven't heard how it went.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Paw Paws can not be saved fresh, so there wouldn't be a market for them but I'm sure they would be good for livestock or even frozen to eat. They taste similar to bananas. Very good tasting. I haven't found any in years but I can eat paw paws but not bananas. Persimmons can be froze if you can separate them from all the seeds and skin. If they are the native variety then wait until they are dark and very soft to eat. Of course wildlife loves them too. I have a tree and I didn't get a single one this year by time they were ripe enough they were gone. I don't know about the quince. It might be a good idea to run by the local Cooperative Extension Office and ask questions.