Pasta machine

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just ordered a pasta machine. So what is the best wheat/flour to use for pasta?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:pop I'm looking for advice on this very subject as well :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to use a combo of AP/semolina in the dough for my machine.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. I grind my own wheat so don't have any AP flour. I guess i could play around with mixing soft and hard wheat and see what works best.

Athene

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Depends on what you want. We have a grain mill and dig Asian food, so we make our own brown and white rice flours, as well as buckwheat flour for soba noodles.

For Italian type pasta, we use half home ground whole wheat and half semolina, which we have to special order through some friends we know who run a restaurant.

Homemade pasta, in enormous sheets for one continuous lasagna noodle is AMAZING. We also make fettucine and ravioli (which is a lot of work- DH makes the pasta and pesto, I make the cheeses, and we have a ravioli party once a year where we stuff. And stuff. And stuff. And feed people. And stuff. And drink wine. And stuff.) which we IQF and bag and eat all year. Totally worth doing- it makes storebought ravioli taste like paste by comparison.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Athene said:
Depends on what you want. We have a grain mill and dig Asian food, so we make our own brown and white rice flours, as well as buckwheat flour for soba noodles.

For Italian type pasta, we use half home ground whole wheat and half semolina, which we have to special order through some friends we know who run a restaurant.

Homemade pasta, in enormous sheets for one continuous lasagna noodle is AMAZING. We also make fettucine and ravioli (which is a lot of work- DH makes the pasta and pesto, I make the cheeses, and we have a ravioli party once a year where we stuff. And stuff. And stuff. And feed people. And stuff. And drink wine. And stuff.) which we IQF and bag and eat all year. Totally worth doing- it makes storebought ravioli taste like paste by comparison.
That's what I want! Lots of spaghetti, lasagna and fettuccine. Id like to try ravioli. Your way sounds really fun. Ill have to try to find a source for the semolina.