Pasture for a SHTF situation for your animals to graze?

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What would everyone recommend? I know alfalfa is high in protein, and some perrienial strains are good for 20+ years but.... what would you all recommend specifically for planting for rabbits, chickens and pot bellied pigs for grazing? There are berries and crabapples that I am going to leave but all the brushy trash wood is getting brush hogged in the morning...

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As many varieties of anything that you can think of. Alfalfa, white and red clover, annual and perennial rye grass, forbes, timothy, birds foot treefoil instead of alfalfa if the ground is swampy, wheat, oats. Dandelions are good for pasture as well as some other weeds. If you plant a variety of cold and warm weather species, dry and wet, something will always be growing. Your pasture will look different every year depending upon the weather conditions.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boooooyd! I know you arent raising PBP's for MEAT! ARE YOU?? :barnie :smack

:p just messin' with ya....let me know how they taste..
* Dont let Hammie see this post though* :hide

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Alfalfas, clover, timothy, grass, etc. Rabbits love fruit tree bark as well.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
As many varieties of anything that you can think of. Alfalfa, white and red clover, annual and perennial rye grass, forbes, timothy, birds foot treefoil instead of alfalfa if the ground is swampy, wheat, oats. Dandelions are good for pasture as well as some other weeds. If you plant a variety of cold and warm weather species, dry and wet, something will always be growing. Your pasture will look different every year depending upon the weather conditions.
Excellent response!

I don't have enough ground to support much in the way of livestock, so I'd have to go with a few little goats.

While we're on this topic, I read that two acres could support one animal year round, but someone argued that you need 4 acres. I could see that for a cow, but would you need that much for a goat?

Oops, sorry for the thread hijack. Just asking...

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That would depend on where you are. Around her you couldn't feed a cow on 10 acres. Where we used to live we had 4 horses a milk cows and a couple of calves on 15 acres and only fed hay during the summer when there hadn't been any rain.