PAW PAW Recipes?????

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I recently have been introduced to the world of Paw Paws. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don't feel bad. I have lived in this area almost all my life and had never heard of them, much less ate one. They are a fruit which grows wild here and many other areas of the eastern states. They are kin to the custard apple (?). They are odd looking green elongated fruits which have a custardy like fruit on the inside which tastes like a bannana crossed with a pear to me. Very odd taste, but good. ANYWAY,..I am off my subject. Does anyone have any TRIED and TRUE recipes for this odd and unusual fruit???? I have found some on the web, but I would like to have someone with first hand experiance give me a recipe. My mother made cookies from a web recipe and they turned out awful. I would prefer maybe a bread or cake recipe, something I could share with my neighbors. Thanks!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have a grove of Pawpaws that I have been impatiently waiting to see bear fruit. I am envious of anyone who has access to Pawpaws!

I want to use them as a substitute for bananas in my morning smoothies. Not a tried and true recipe as you requested, but if you have them over for brunch it could work.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never cooked with them. I usually just eat them raw. By themselves or in slushies or smoothies.

You described the taste perfectly! Mmmm yummy

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I always thought paw paws were the fruit that cactus bear. :idunno
They sound good!

(We used to sing a song about paw paws in school with children.)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have one, but I found this one on google, so I'll remove it later. I think they are also kin to papaya. Not sure on that though. :idunno
1178166165613359.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I keep planting paw-paw trees but can't get them to stay alive!! Their description in my plant magazine (banana custard) sounds so good!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am glad to hear others enjoy them also. I thought about the smoothie thing,...it sounds yummy! I have been told, do not know how true it is,that when a paw paw is heated (cooked) it makes it very strong and pungent. Maybe this is why many people do not cook with them. I have about eight in my frig so I believe it will be smoothies for me. I do not have any paw paw trees that I know of on my property. My neighbor gave these to me and he got them at a friends place that lives near us. He tried transplanting a few of the trees and they didn't live. The problem is when a paw paw tree is in a cluster of trees, there is usually a parent tree and the others are "suckers". They will not produce fruit very well even if they will. Also a paw paw tree has a very delicate root system and it makes them near to impossible to transplant. You can buy them from tree farms but they say to buy the trees only grown in containers,..the bare root trees usually will not survive. I hope to be able to order a couple of trees this spring. You also have to have two for pollination. The University of Kentucky has a great website about them. I would love to hear anymore ideas or recipes about paw paws,...thanks!